• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 2440

Register to hide this ad
I, myself, am not familiar with the 2440, but if it has pre-out/main in jacks on the rear panel, remove the jumpers and use the pre-out to drive another power amplifier. Another pre-amp can aslo be used to power your 2440 as a power amp with the 'MAIN IN' jacks.
 
no pre-out/main-in jacks.so i guess not.I wonder what speakers would go good with a
20Wx2@ 8 or 4 ohms amp
 
If your tech minded like me, you can always go inside and find out where the pre-amp circuit connects to the main amp circuit and connect a pair of RCA jacks right there so you'll have that added extra option. I can usually find the pre-amp taps without a schematic, but that's just me so you may want to find yourself a schematic. I was given a Fisher integrated amp a few years back, and all four output transistors were shorted. I could have fixed it, but I already have enough equipment so it was just an added extra. I removed the outputs and tapped into the pre-amp and made myself a nice little self contained pre-amp to drive any power amp of my choice. Right now it is connected to my 4th system with my Sherwood MOSFET power amplifier.
 
cademan - I am getting ready to start learning some basic electronics so I can do some of the cool Ideas Like the one you suggested. Very Cool Idea!
 
Forgive me for the stupid questions, but why do you need a "pre-amp" to drive a "power amp"?
 
Forgive me for the stupid questions, but why do you need a "pre-amp" to drive a "power amp"?

Not a stupid question. Thank you for asking!

Most power amplifiers have no controls on them whatsoever except for the occasional power on/off switch. Without any controls, a power amp will amplify a signal to the full power output of the amplifier itself, meaning it will be at full volume with no control.

The pre-amplifier IS the controls. (volume, bass treble, aux in, tuner in, tape in, etc.) These units were designed to give the consumer more freedom in choosing the systems that they wanted. Depending on their budgets, people had more choices.

A receiver is a power amp, tuner, and pre-amp built into one package.

An integrated amplifier is a power amp, and pre-amp in one package.

A tuner is just a tuner with no amplifier or pre-amp, same as a tape deck, Cd player, etc.

Does this help?
 
Believe me ,dont feel stupid ,the good folks on AK make me feel stupid everyday.These folks are very intelligent and very informative. I have learned alot from them. And thanks to you all!!!
 
What would be the best way to use a Marantz 2440.Can it be used as a pre amp?
The best use of a Marantz 2440 may be to use it for its intended purpose, as a 4-Channel Adapter/Power Amp. The 2440 is a two-channel stereo power amplifier designed to be used with a stereo system for four-channel (quadraphonic) sound. It has all the quadraphonic control functions built in. If you were to mate it with a Marantz receiver like the 2220, 2230 or 2270 you would have essentially a complete Marantz quadraphonic system. Now that would be ultra-cool. :yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom