• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 500 Info

srideout

New Member
Hello,

I'm looking for some info on the Marantz 500. It seems @jstang is the resident 500 expert?

I was lucky enough to procure one of these recently in "as-is" condition. I am an audio electronics technician, so will be restoring it back to 100% very soon. It came with an original service manual.

I am a big Marantz fan, and my main personal amplifier has been a 1060 for more than 10 years.

It's appears to be all there with the exception of some case parts. It's missing the connection cover/front door with the black bar, as well as the top and bottom covers, and one of the sides.

I'm wondering if someone with a 500 would be kind enough to provide me the dimensions of these parts, so I can have them re-created.

I know this is a lot to ask and would be happy to pay for this info if anyone has a 500 and can provide.

Thank you!

Info I'm looking for:

For the front door, dimensions of the door and black bar would be extremely helpful. Is the black bar metal?

For the top panel, dimensions of the panel and perhaps a photo with a ruler next to the perforated pattern would help me recreate it exactly.

Also, a photo of the bottom cover and any dimensions, which I could not find online.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0995.jpg
    IMG_0995.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 23
Register to hide this ad
Hello;

I am also in the process of restoring my Marantz 500. In my case, the top and bottom covers were missing, as well as one of the complete amplification modules, including the heatsink, driver and output boards.

Fortunately, the electronic part has been resolved and I am in the process of finishing, assembling the power module on the new milled heatsink.

The electronic part has already been tested and is ok. With the exception of the two diodes that are on the heatsink, the MZ2361 and SZ51066 power diodes, which I will replace with 1N4148 x 2 and x 3 respectively. I will probably test them this week.

The amplifier is a monster. Very different from other amplifiers and receivers from Marantz and others. And with some unique peculiarities in its electronic scheme. Fortunately, the service manual is very detailed.

I would like to point out that my success was only possible thanks to the experts on the forum. Special thanks to @jstang, whose tips I have been following for years, since I started the restoration.

Regarding the measurements of the front door. Here are the measurements and some photos.

Plate: 60 x 132.50 x 3.2mm

Handle (front view): 19mm (height) x 12.7mm (depth) x 132.5mm (base) x 155 (top).

Pins: 13mm (height) x 6.3mm (hexagonal) x 4.8mm (ball clamp diameter). x 2

I apologize for the English, I hope the translator did a good job.
 

Attachments

  • 5.jpeg
    5.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 4.jpeg
    4.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 3.jpeg
    3.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 28
Thank you so much for this!

I must admit I recreated the door based on photos a couple days after I posted as I didn't get any replies. Just before I saw your comment here.

I came up with 151x18 with 13.75mm depth for the black bar vs your measured 155x19 with 12.7mm depth. Not bad for eyeballing from some photos.

I had the door made and finally finished up the restoration of the 500.

The banana plugs I had planned to use for the insertion pins were too wide. Didn't have the sharpened pencil shape of the stock Marantz. So I went with a plain tapered pin.

I'd probably try to find a better fitting banana plug if I make another one in the future to better match factory, although the pins work perfectly.

I've updated my drawings so the measurments are right on factory now.

If anyone needs a near perfect 500 reproduction front cover, feel free to PM me. Not too cheap, but nice.

All came out very well. The 500 is a phenomenal amp.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3411.jpeg
    IMG_3411.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3412.jpeg
    IMG_3412.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    206.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3415 Medium.jpeg
    IMG_3415 Medium.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom