• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 5020 idler

schoocom

New Member
Hi all.
I’m facing a “fun” issue with my 5020.
Belts were out when I got it. So I ordered new ones on Vintage electronics.
After the change, play runs perfectly but FF doesn’t anymore. I remarked that the torque limiter wheel doesn’t go far enough to touch the reel to have it turning. If I put back the older belt, then it’s noisy but it works. But no auto-stop function anymore.

It seems like the new belt is too short ...

Any idea ?

Many thanks
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I realize that this is a very old thread, but the answer may be useful to others with this issue. The problem the OP is having is the new belt is too small! I had the same issue with this belt from Vintage-Electronics. Bob sent me a 4.3" belt and the FF and Rewind do work, but the Auto Stop function does not work in Rewind. Adjusting the torque-limiter spring, as explained on page 12 of the service manual, does not fix the issue. The problem is that the 4.3" belt is just a tad too long. I tracked down a 4.2" on eBay and it should arrive soon and, hopefully, fix the problem. You can read more about this at my post over at Tapeheads... http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=78924

I hope this might help others with this issue!
 
Hey there,

I am new to these forums and have been getting into the 5020 myself, just had it serviced and the wrong belt ( from Bob over at vintage - electronics ) was one of the culprits, the belt now installed is the SCY 4.2.. however, the auto stop still isn't working.
So my question is...

In the torque limiter, could there be a gear or cam that is too worn out to increase or decrease the spring rate?
 
Last edited:
I know this is an old thread but I'm having the same issues with my 5020. I installed a new 4.2 belt and the torque limiter spring is already tensioned the least it can be without me even adjusting it so I'm at a loss on what to do next. I've oiled up all parts that contact each other but it didn't make any difference. Any suggestions on what might fix this problem?
 
Back
Top Bottom