• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 6300 turntable?

avguytx

Lunatic Member
I have an eye on a Marantz 6300 turntable for half a "Benji" which only needs a stylus on an ADC XML cartridge of some sorts. I see some of these TT's go for some rather high money online and am wondering what the allure is to them? Seems like I read where they retailed for around $250 in their day...give or take. I have a Marantz 6350Q sitting in the closet that has speed issues and won't maintain anything but this 6300 is older I'm assuming? In my office rig, I use a Pioneer PL-55X which works just fine with a Shure V15 Type IV and a JICO SAS stylus.

So....bottom line. Is it worth looking into getting this 6300 to replace the Pioneer? Everything is good on it, too. Strobe lights, holds speed, etc. Just curious....
 
Register to hide this ad
They are a good turntable but expensive online you have a good price there.. If you have the money and you want it bad enough then buy it. They are high quality and sound and look gorgeous that is what attracts people to them. You do pay for the name though. Not familiar with the Pioneer but you may try some deoxit on the speed controls it may fix it.

I am looking at Marantz as well and may choose to go with the belt driven 6100.
 
Oh believe me....I've cleaned every control on that 6350Q no less than half a dozen times to no avail. Some people think it could be an IC chip somewhere or other similar part. If I decide to go further with it, I'll have to find a service manual for it. I may go pick up the 6300 next weekend if I'm in town. I do like its real wood veneer base and it is one hefty TT. I may end up using it in the living room system with the Carver/Infinity setup as it would look nice on top of the Barzilay cabinets.
 
Well one difference is that the 6300 is automatic. Yes, the name and looks draw higher prices, but it's still an excellent turntable, no doubt the equal to your Pioneer. For that price it's a bargain--I'd jump on it, if for no other reason than to compare it to the Pioneer. Heck you'd have no trouble reselling it for twice that.
 
Oh believe me....I've cleaned every control on that 6350Q no less than half a dozen times to no avail. Some people think it could be an IC chip somewhere or other similar part. If I decide to go further with it, I'll have to find a service manual for it. I may go pick up the 6300 next weekend if I'm in town. I do like its real wood veneer base and it is one hefty TT. I may end up using it in the living room system with the Carver/Infinity setup as it would look nice on top of the Barzilay cabinets.

Get a service manual and check the power supply. One little tiny blown diode had my Sony PS-X70 in utter disarray. Replaced with a functioning diode...everything is golden.
 
For 50 bucks pick it up, I think I paid about $230 for mine on ebay about 2.5 years ago when i was stupid and didn't know anything about audio. Its been a good entry table for me, but I hope to upgrade soon. However, like you have noticed the 6300 can fetch some high prices online, up to $700 for a fully restored model.
 
I'll go pick it up this coming Saturday. Hell, I need one more project to add to the never ending mix of stuff. Not. :D I just got a pair of AR-2AX's I've got to refoam and restore, too. At least I'm starting out with something in reasonably good shape..
 
Back
Top Bottom