• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz 6350

sammellon

New Member
Hi Folks.

Novice user, currently running a McIntosh MA-230, with a pair of Sansui SP-70's and a refoamed pair of Advent Loudspeakers. I have a JVC QL-Y5F, that does a decent job- but I have been told I would benefit from an upgrade. I see a couple of Marantz 6350's on eBay for around the $300 range- which is about what I could afford to spend right now. My question is- is this a decent TT? and how much of an upgrade should I expect to hear between the JVC and the Marantz?

thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a Marantz 6300 and the sonics are superb.I have owned some JVC (not Y5F) before but the JVC QL-Y5F is well liked and it is a fine TT.Not sure if the Marantz would be a drastic uprade over JVC if anything at all?
 
Some people feel that Marantz tables, while good performers, are overpriced. At least some were made by CEC/Chuo Denki; not a bad thing, but as in the previous reply, I'd question whether you're going to hear a big improvement.

I've never heard the SP-70s, but Advents always sounded dim and foggy to me, no highs. Better speakers might give you more bang for your upgrade bucks.
 
The JVC QL-Y5F is superior, in the tonearm, to just about any Japanese-made turntable you'll find, apart from slightly newer Sony, Denon and JVC turntables with similar active tonearms (eg JVC QL-Y66F). The Marantz is similar in most other respects, but the JVC is a newer turntable, by the originators of the quartz lock turntable, so should be better. And the Marantz tonearm is definitely hugely inferior, as it lacks the crucial electronic damping that lifts the JVC well above most others in sound quality.

I've seen both tested by independent testers, and in pure numbers (wow and flutter, rumble) they are similar. You may be able to improve the base of the JVC with damping materials, but the Marantz is of similar build quality, and won't be an upgrade in that area.
 
Back
Top Bottom