• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz - Gray / Silver Series with a Black Dial Scale(E.G. 2252B, 2285B)

SUB08

Well-Known Member
Do you think that changing the dial of a traditionally silver marantz dial to black will make the unit more desirable? Or is it a bad idea because it will no longer look original.

Here's an original 2500:
marantz2500-101.jpg


Here's an example of a 2500 with a modified dial scale:
Picture564.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
More desirable? As in selling it? If so, I would think a buyer would want it original. Now if I had one that I was going to keep I would consider converting it to a black dial because I like it.
 
Personally I like the looks of the black better then the silver. The blue really pops agains the black. If I were to buy one though I would ask the seller if he had the original laying around. If not I would probably do a google search and see if I could find the original. I would probably never change it back but the thought of being able to put it back to its original configuration is a comfortating one.
 
Personally I like the looks of the black better then the silver. The blue really pops agains the black. If I were to buy one though I would ask the seller if he had the original laying around. If not I would probably do a google search and see if I could find the original. I would probably never change it back but the thought of being able to put it back to its original configuration is a comfortating one.

This, having both options would be the best option. I personally like the look of the black too.
 
IIRC, I have seen a 2385 in a German catalog that shows the black dial. The catalog was either late 1976 or early 1977 so it could have been a prototype look that never made it into production.

The other cosmetic mod that can be done to the 2500/2600 is to remove the blue film from the scope. This will show the scope image in standard green, which I think is a nice contrast to the Marantz Blue. The blue film can be re-glued so this mod can be undone.
 
Back
Top Bottom