• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz HD-88 Replacement Super Tweeter?

hardeejr

Member
I have a set of HD-88 speakers here that sound absolutely incredible, except one of them has a blown super tweeter - or at least that's what I think it is. I have attached a photo of the speakers with the speaker that is blown circled. Does anyone know what would be best to use as a replacement for this driver? I am highly doubting I'll be able to find an exact replacement. Any feedback will be much appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • HD-8810.jpg
    HD-8810.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 190
Register to hide this ad
Your best bet for a replacement is prolly gonna be eBay, unless someone here has one. Have you checked the AK classifieds?

BTW, are you certain the driver is dead?
 
BTW, are you certain the driver is dead?

Fairly. It still emits sound, but its crackly. Sounds like static. I have checked on eBay and haven't found one recently. From what I read, the HD-88 is a pretty rare speaker. I don't know if there are any other models, besides maybe the HD-880 (newer model) that use the same drivers... I'm also not stuck on an original replacement part. So long as its similar and fits in the hole (insert "that's what she said" joke here), it will work for me.
 
I believe that's an upper mid/low tweeter. Very similar to a KEF dome. In fact an audio store owner up here in Canucksville swears that Marantz sourced some of their domes from KEF. He has one for sale. At least it was there last time I looked. Initially he had a pair which I was going to purchase, but one tested zilch, so I left the other one there. Probably $30 bucks (Cdn) or in that area.
 
If that driver works, but with static or crackling, I would suggest you check out the level control pots on the front of the speaker. I don't know why Marantz built such a nice speaker, then used such a terrible pot. I have two sets of HD 88s and a set of HD 77s and they all have issues with the level controls. One more thing, those tweeters (it's just a tweeter) are pretty robust, they don't blow easy.
 
If that driver works, but with static or crackling, I would suggest you check out the level control pots on the front of the speaker. I don't know why Marantz built such a nice speaker, then used such a terrible pot. I have two sets of HD 88s and a set of HD 77s and they all have issues with the level controls. One more thing, those tweeters (it's just a tweeter) are pretty robust, they don't blow easy.

You're correct on the pots being junk. They are static-y as hell, but the speaker does still appear to be the problem. In fact, the other speaker has already been replaced with a different brand dome tweeter. But I did just find a set of replacement tweeters from a set of HD-660s for a reasonable price on ebay. These should be better. I used to think the same way as you on those tweeters - that they never/rarely blow, but these both have now. :) Now I'm tempted to swap out pots as well.....
 
I always try to eliminate the pot or x-over before replacing a tweet. Luckily, you didn't have to wait a long time for some to pop up on the 'bay.:thmbsp:
 
I always try to eliminate the pot or x-over before replacing a tweet. Luckily, you didn't have to wait a long time for some to pop up on the 'bay.:thmbsp:

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. Actually - there were two sets of them on the bay. These HD-88s are quite possibly the best sounding speakers I've ever heard... I'm amazed you came across two sets of them! Most people haven't even heard of the HD-88... the HD-880 seemed to be a MUCH more popular speaker, although I'm sure they sound very similar as they appear to have the same drivers.
 
Two pair in two weeks. In the same town, no less. I had been looking for a couple of years with no joy, then these just popped up. I really like the Marantz HD series, except for the terrible pots. They make it a little tough to get the speakers dialed in properly.

The woofer in the HD-77/88 is fair bit beefier than the woofer used in the HD-770/880. I haven't had a chance to compare the other drivers yet.
 
Two pair in two weeks. In the same town, no less. I had been looking for a couple of years with no joy, then these just popped up. I really like the Marantz HD series, except for the terrible pots. They make it a little tough to get the speakers dialed in properly.

The woofer in the HD-77/88 is fair bit beefier than the woofer used in the HD-770/880. I haven't had a chance to compare the other drivers yet.

I just got these HD-88s from my dad. He bought them new back in the 70's. They're about to be almost all original. The only non-original driver (after I install these new tweeters) will be one of the midrange speakers. The woofers have been refoamed and look great. I absolutely love these speakers - have since I was little. We used to listen to Thriller on these things with his Carver MXR-150 at extremely high volume. Those were the days! I can tell you one thing - I have never heard a better sounding set of speakers. I just wish the original grilles didn't completely disintegrate! My dad made some "decent" looking grilles with plywood and ugly cloth when the originals fell apart. From looking at pictures online, these things looked clutch with their original grilles.
 
there are a pair of these listed on that auction site at the moment. do a search, you should find them.

no affiliation and all that jazz.
 
He'd better hurry, they end in about 1/2 an hour.

Hmm... just searched it out of curiousity and found nothing. I am assuming you meant entire HD-88 speakers - not just drivers. I searched completed listings and all... Anyone wanna PM me a link? It appears that "the bay" is like using profanity in these forums, which I have yet to figure out why.
 
Hmm... just searched it out of curiousity and found nothing. I am assuming you meant entire HD-88 speakers - not just drivers. I searched completed listings and all... Anyone wanna PM me a link? It appears that "the bay" is like using profanity in these forums, which I have yet to figure out why.

No, there was a pair of HD 55 tweeters listed, but I think the seller was calling them mids. Do a completed listings search for "Marantz HD*" Don't forget to use the asterisk.
 
No, there was a pair of HD 55 tweeters listed, but I think the seller was calling them mids. Do a completed listings search for "Marantz HD*" Don't forget to use the asterisk.

Gotcha! Couldn't figure out exactly what he was talking about that was up for sale... Thank you for your help!
 
You're correct on the pots being junk. They are static-y as hell, but the speaker does still appear to be the problem. In fact, the other speaker has already been replaced with a different brand dome tweeter. But I did just find a set of replacement tweeters from a set of HD-660s for a reasonable price on ebay. These should be better. I used to think the same way as you on those tweeters - that they never/rarely blow, but these both have now. :) Now I'm tempted to swap out pots as well.....
hd 660s are probably smaller drivers than what you are looking for. They are 125 watt speakers and i'm pretty sure the drivers you need are from the 225 watt models but i could be wrong lord knows i have been before.
 
hey hardeejr,
you'd better look again cause I can tell you right now, your HD-88's do not house the original woofers anymore, unless your dad had the original frames rebuilt with new cones, but the woofer frames do not match the cabinet cutouts in yours. Easy to see since the black trim rings around woofers are gone. I have a very keen eye and I know when something is amiss. I have total knowledge of Marantz HD series 2 digit and 3 digit ones, plus I am the proud owner of two pairs of HD-770's, one pair of HD-880, and a pair of HD 66's still with the original foam grills, and drivers! Yours do look very nice. You might want to ask your dad where the Vari-Q plugs are that go in the bass ports. the foam might be desintegrated but there should be a retainer that goes through center of foam plug for easy removal and installation. Either way I am sure they still sound spectacular, as you say. Hold onto them! Also impressive Marantzs are the Design Series 900, 920, 930 & 940. Your HD 88's rank right up there with them for rarity and power handling.
 
your HD-88's are 300 watt rated and the smaller tweeters from the 660 should be fine and will most likely have a larger magnet than the HD-88's originals. Most of the watts are soaked up by the woofers and mids.
 
hey hardeejr,
you'd better look again cause I can tell you right now, your HD-88's do not house the original woofers anymore, unless your dad had the original frames rebuilt with new cones, but the woofer frames do not match the cabinet cutouts in yours. Easy to see since the black trim rings around woofers are gone. I have a very keen eye and I know when something is amiss. .

I went back and looked at the pic in the first post, and damn if you didn't nail it. Judging by the 6-hole layout, (as opposed to the 8 hole layout of the original Rola-sourced woofers) those are Chinese or Korean sourced aftermarket drivers. Originals come up on the 'bay from time to time.
 
I went back and looked at the pic in the first post, and damn if you didn't nail it. Judging by the 6-hole layout, (as opposed to the 8 hole layout of the original Rola-sourced woofers) those are Chinese or Korean sourced aftermarket drivers. Originals come up on the 'bay from time to time.

Guys, those pictures are ones I stole from another post elsewhere. Mine are original. They have been refoamed. There is still the Marantz logo'd ring around the outside on mine, and there appear to be 4 screws (at least that are visible with the ring still on. I'll post a pic of mine shortly.
 
Back
Top Bottom