• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz HD770 Re-Foam Help

ahk26

Active Member
A friend of mine asked me to help him re-foam his Marantz HD-770’s. He had sent the woofers somewhere awhile back and was quoted $150 to repair them and said no so they were sent back to him. I agreed to help him but when I got them home I noticed that one of the woofers does not have a dust cap but it is shimmed like the other repair guy was ready to replace it (I have re-foamed several sets of speakers but never had to replace a dust cap before). My question is first does a regular dust cap work but just get installed in an inverted position? If not is there a special dust cap for this model and any idea where to get one? Lastly I understand the shims are to keep the cone aligned but when I install the new dust cap do I just pull the shims out and glue the dust cap in? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me (secretly I am hoping my friend will sell me these HD’s sometime, he is using them as part of a surround sound system that is not worthy of these awesome vintage speakers!)
 
Register to hide this ad
My question is first does a regular dust cap work but just get installed in an inverted position? If not is there a special dust cap for this model and any idea where to get one? Lastly I understand the shims are to keep the cone aligned but when I install the new dust cap do I just pull the shims out and glue the dust cap in? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me (secretly I am hoping my friend will sell me these HD’s sometime, he is using them as part of a surround sound system that is not worthy of these awesome vintage speakers!)

You may be able to get the correct style caps from a JBL reconer or such. Some of their woofers used inverted caps...

Or, you could use a standard cap with the glue flange removed...

Or, you could use a standard cap mounted the standard way (depending on how anal your are about cosmetics, originality and all that)...

The shims must come out before the new cap is glued on.
 
Back
Top Bottom