• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz Imperial 6 Crossover toggle

Bloodnok

Member
I recently got a pair of Marantz Imperial 6 speakers (not the -Gs) The toggle switch in the middle of the crossover is broken on one of them. Does anyone know of a source for replacement, or if the crossover from a 6G will work?

Thanks:
 
Register to hide this ad
It's been awhile since Ive been inside mine. Do you have a picture of the crossover? I would think its a double pole triple throw type? So probably 4 pairs of connections. On set for the input, and the three output pole pairs?
 
You could check ebay for any crossovers for the 6's for sale. The same switch should be in the Imperial 5's and 7's crossovers also.
 
yeah. I may just see if I can find a new toggle. I think that might be cheaper than buying a whole new( used) crossover.

Thx:
 
The crossover from the 6G should be identical to the one from the 6, but a new toggle switch seems like a good idea.
Here are a few pics of the switch from the back.
IMG_5193.jpegIMG_5196.jpeg
 
Last edited:
According to what I have read, it's a DPDT type switch. Must be time to break out the old soldering rig. Thanks for the pics, those will help
 
I found a picture of the scematic somewhere (couple of years ago, so plain forgot that I had it), this may also be helpful
:)
The switch is an S.P.D.T.
Picture1.jpg
I did som ChatGPT editing that cleans up the image but I will need to edit it further. There are some pretty obvious errors.
Marantz Imp. 6 S.M. pg 4.png
 
Last edited:
Just checked. The SPDT ON-OFF-ON toggles are available for very little money, but you have to be carefull to get the right size. I guess this is a MAXI.
 
I did a new clean up of the page on ChatGPT and it's a lot nicer (I also tried CoPilot but that was horrendous). I corrected most of the errors this time. Only TB1 has turned into something odd, and I ran out of tries for today.
I´m working on two sets of these and I have much difficulty in getting the crossover assembly out. I don't recall it being that difficult on my first pair.
Ny side 4 red.png
 
I'm going to pull them both at the same time, so I should have a good example with the other unit side by side. Curious as to what troubles you're having in removing them? I think they are screwed and glued, correct? I'm basing that on the looks of used units for sale on eBay.
 
The 7uf capacitor is pretty much unobtanium now, but 6.8uf Audyn's is what I used to replace those old wax caps. Its well within the tolerance specs of the old wax filled electrolytic 7uf cap.
One of those wax caps had started melting out of the paper tube in mine. I personally don't care for paralleling caps to get the values needed in crossovers if I can help it. Ive thought about replacing the original coil with an air core coils also.
The only difference between the 6, 6B, and 6G is cosmetics. Brown, black, or blue cones, black grill, brown cloth grill, then the foam grills.
I found the overall sound between the 5's and 6's to be very similar, albeit with less low end with the 5's. But a properly adjusted sub woofer took care of that.
 
I'm going to pull them both at the same time, so I should have a good example with the other unit side by side. Curious as to what troubles you're having in removing them? I think they are screwed and glued, correct? I'm basing that on the looks of used units for sale on eBay.
I think that the glue bead on these is stronger than on the last pair. I will try to pry them off with a chisel and a small sledgehammer. I have removed the two screws.
When I replace the caps I will also install three way binding posts. If you get the right model they fit where the existing ones are, and you just need to drill out the rivets. You can save the existing ones if someone wants to bring them back to the original construction.
 
The 7uf capacitor is pretty much unobtanium now, but 6.8uf Audyn's is what I used to replace those old wax caps. Its well within the tolerance specs of the old wax filled electrolytic 7uf cap.
One of those wax caps had started melting out of the paper tube in mine. I personally don't care for paralleling caps to get the values needed in crossovers if I can help it. Ive thought about replacing the original coil with an air core coils also.
The only difference between the 6, 6B, and 6G is cosmetics. Brown, black, or blue cones, black grill, brown cloth grill, then the foam grills.
I found the overall sound between the 5's and 6's to be very similar, albeit with less low end with the 5's. But a properly adjusted sub woofer took care of that.

Not as difficult to find as I thought. They will be here Monday

Screenshot 2026-06-28 122702.jpgnday
 
Back
Top Bottom