• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz Model 32 in the Dealer Catalog 1969

ancien

Active Member
Hi I think a lot of you will know Marantz Model 32. Solid State main amp from 1969. A 60 RMS 60 amp. And there were about 2000 produced in Sun Valley, CA.

I have obtained a rare dealer catalog (with separate sheets), showing the range in fall 1969 with a letter from Superscope enclosed regarding whats for sale and dealer prices. I bought it from a tech, he bought it from a dealer gone out of business in the US.

In that dealer catalog there are some strange looking units like Model 20, 30 and 24. These where I think photographed prototypes. And whats also in that dealer catalog. A Model 32...

Appears with an aluminium faceplate with a Marantz logo on it, 50 RMS 50 instead of 60 RMS 60 and just 1 little pilot bulb. So no transparant Power Stereo Amplifier like we know the 32s to be like.

15745181840111203011033139676670.jpg

1574518288265896577234683116538.jpg

15745183568222041892012054054479.jpg
Now my questions:

Someone saw a unit like this?
I know there are a lot of prototypes around (e.g. Bryans Model 9 prototype) but this is nice because it has a whole different appearance. Anyone had access, knew which and where the prototypes are now?

Please get in touch.
Ancien
 
Register to hide this ad
Very interesting. I've owned many Model 32 Amplifiers over the years. They're a nice amplifier and easy to work on.

Always cool to see how models originated and changed once they went into production -- Chris
 
Hi Chris, thanks for your reply. I have never owned a 32 before so I can't tell how it sounds. Have owned a 16 and 33 aswell as a 30 which sounds excellent.

I wish I could get my hand on the prototype it looks so cool. Bet it is in CA somewhere after the factory closed there in 1977 and moved to Chatsworth CA.
 
I've also have a Model 16B Amplifier, Model 33 Pre-Amplifier and a Model 30. These are some of my favorites (that's why I still have them) the Model 33 is perhaps the best Pre-Amplifier (except for my 7T) and it pairs well with both the 16B and 32's. The Model 30 uses the same Amplifier design as the Model 32 - the Pre-Amplifier is a simplified version of the Model 33. - Chris
 
I thought so. I hooked up 33 now to tube equipment by Marantz. It sounds great. I have 2 pieces.

Really want to get hold of this prototype. The face is different than the final version. I like this

60s equipment is amazing. 7T sound excellent, early Superscope aswell.
 
Back
Top Bottom