• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz Model Twenty B

dhrob

New Member
Hi, recently bought a beautiful 20B, although a bit damaged on the faceplate, it sounds superb.
May someone can help me out with my two questions?
1. The reception is noisy, I have to use the 'high blend' and even then there is still some hissing audible at the speakers. I am fairly sure that the antenna (reception) is okay as my other tuners (fisher 200 and km60) receive noise-less on the same antenna. I cleaned the RCA-plugs on the reception module as well the antenna switch at the antenna connection-box.
2. Has to do with faceplate illumination. All the lamps seem to be working but I can hardly read the scale during daytime. As a work-around I took out the white plastic sheet.. Will replacement bulbs (GE55 if I am not mistaken) solve this issue?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Rob
 
Register to hide this ad
Needs bench check and probably full alignment.
Thanks for the reply..
Some hints maybe wrt to the lamps? I suspect 12V bulbs being used, but there are no markings. Anyhow, just ordered some 55 incandescent bulbs. They are almost solely sold in the USA and shipping costs are amazing..
Noise can not be the cause of aged caps in some filter?
 
Can't say about the illumination issue, the pointer should be plainly visible against dial markings. Be sure properly specified lamps are in place and light paths clean. Be particularly careful cleaning any marking surfaces, gentle conservative technique to avoid damage !
 
Ok, thanks.
Carefully cleaned the whole display, no dirt left. I do think however that one of the previous owners tried to temper the light a bit.. Will see as the replacement bulbs are in.
It is correct that there is a plastic sheet in between the lamps and the display? My guess is yes to evenly distribute the light.. but am not sure.
 
Ok, thanks.
Carefully cleaned the whole display, no dirt left. I do think however that one of the previous owners tried to temper the light a bit.. Will see as the replacement bulbs are in.
It is correct that there is a plastic sheet in between the lamps and the display? My guess is yes to evenly distribute the light.. but am not sure.
Possibly a diffuser, find a service manual and check.
 
Back
Top Bottom