• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz = Overly warm, grainy, sloppy bass....

Polarbear

Super Member
That's often what I read about our vintage Marantz units. Maybe they do have some of those characteristics but man are they musical units!!! I've recently been trying to dethrone my Marantz 2245 but have not been very successful.

The first one I tried as of late was a Rega Brio R. It had a huge soundstage with amazing resolution but the top end was lacking any crispness at all so I moved it along (I NEED a nice top end). Next up was a Yamaha A-S1000 which I preferred to the Rega but it just wasn't that musical and it lacked dynamics.

Those are just the most recent units but in the past I tried a Luxman R115, a Adcom pre/power amp combo, a Nikko pre/power amp (very good units), as well as a Classe Cap 101 and a Mcintosh mc250.

There are many more units to try in the future but right here and now my Marantz is standing tall.

Cheers!
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
It's true that Marantz is an overpriced, overly warm, grainy, and sloppy junk! But I really like the look of them. :D

I've tried 2015 and I like it. Tried 2230 and find that I like the mellow sound it gives. Tried 2235b and didn't really care for it (probably because it needs work). Tried 2238b and really like it except on one pair of speakers making it sound too tinny. Tried 2385 restored and love it. Next I will be trying 2325 which is on the way.
 
Last edited:
Old caps, unrestored and wrong speakers.... They are even worse sounding .....

Reversal all that and I am in audio nirvana....

Jk
 
Good point jstang. My 2245 does have new caps in the ps and amp boards and I agree it makes a big difference.
 
Good point jstang. My 2245 does have new caps in the ps and amp boards and I agree it makes a big difference.

I have to think a LOT of the complaints are related to aging components. Why are you even trying to dethrone it? Sounds like it fits you perfectly, not everyone is so lucky to find a piece of gear they enjoy that much!
 
It's true that Marantz is an overpriced, overly warm, grainy, and sloppy junk! But I really like the look of them. :D

I've tried 2015 and I like it. Tried 2230 and find that I like the mellow sound it gives. Tried 2235b and didn't really care for it (probably because it needs work). Tried 2238b and really like it except on one pair of speakers making it sound too tinny. Tried 2385 restored and love it. Next I will be trying 2325 which is on the way.

I own a 2385,warm,powerful and I like the look!
Funny how I love it the most with my pair of Wharfedales.W90's from early 60's and the reason I consider it funny is that the 90's only handle 20-30 Watts and usually better with Tube Power and yet powering the 90's with 1-2 Watts is all I need to give me what I like to hear!
I guess it's all that surplus 180+ Watts that does it...lolOL:thmbsp:
 
I have to think a LOT of the complaints are related to aging components. Why are you even trying to dethrone it? Sounds like it fits you perfectly, not everyone is so lucky to find a piece of gear they enjoy that much!

Well, that's a good question. I often read on ak how even a cheap example of a newer amplifier is considerably better than vintage so I figured it's worth checking into. There's no doubt that most of the newer amps I've listened to had tighter bass, more detail, cleaner sound all around but the musicality seemed to suffer. My 2245 just seems to capture the essence of the music.

Having said that I will still continue to seek out new amps.
 
For my Magneplanars, it took a Conrad Johnson power amp and Mapletree Preamp to retire my Marantz 1200. For my OLA I still think my Marantz 1060 can not be improved upon...
 
I picked up a cherry Hitachi SR-804 recently. The price was right ($40) and I always wanted to try the class g thing. It's a capable performer and I've been using it in my main system for a couple of weeks. It isn't on par with my 2385 though, besides build quality, it just doesn't have that refined sound that my Marantz produces...hard to put a finger on it but the Hitachi just sounds a little more "raw"...like they didn't bother to chase down the little things. Just got it "good enough".
It'll still be fine for the workshop though! :yes:
 
I had my 2245 totally refurbed by Catrafter. I'm done looking for new amps!
 
I own a 2385,warm,powerful and I like the look!
Funny how I love it the most with my pair of Wharfedales.W90's from early 60's and the reason I consider it funny is that the 90's only handle 20-30 Watts and usually better with Tube Power and yet powering the 90's with 1-2 Watts is all I need to give me what I like to hear!
I guess it's all that surplus 180+ Watts that does it...lolOL:thmbsp:

I don't have any good speakers except those infinities that needs to be refoamed. But that 2385 sure made my cheap Kennys sing. :yes:
 
Love the sound!

I have not been happy with my living room system that I set it up in 2006. It a nice big room with JBL 100s up front with A Jone's Pioneers on the back. Never like the sound on this system until I got the 4270. It made the system very listenable with not fatigue. Talk about synergy of components. Have a Dual 1229',Pioneer CTF 9191 and a Technics CD changer that I don't use. I love listening to this system. Even have a flat screen tied in. I am running the 4270 in two channel. It's one of the best sounding systems I have put together. I too tried other receivers and the this Marantz killed them. I toyed with the idea of putting a second pr of JBL s. on the back but didn't. It's sounds too good as is. Keep the Marantz

Eric:music:
 
I had my 2245 totally refurbed by Catrafter. I'm done looking for new amps!

I too have a 2245 that I gave the full monte treatment. All the caps, filter caps and even the transistors on the phono board were changed out. I will say, it is a very nice sounding receiver, but then I prefer receivers in the 40 - 60 wpc range. Seems to just be the sweet spot for my ears I guess. I must admit though, the Marantz is only my 2nd best sounding receiver in that range, bettered by my Pioneer SX838 which also received full treatment. I will give the phono stage nod to the Marantz as the Pioneer's dynamic range no that stage is fixed and can't be adjusted. As a result, the Marantz plays a little louder on Phono. That aside, the Pioneer has better bass response with a more forward presentation of the bass and mids. I wouldn't initially have thought that because unlike the Marantz, it doesn't have a midrange control. Don't get me wrong, they are both excellent sounding receivers and anyone would be happy to have either one. I'm just lucky to have them both at this time. Bottom line is if you like it, enjoy it, but don't let it keep you from hearing other gear. That's what makes this such an enjoyable hobby - chasing the sound.
 
That's often what I read about our vintage Marantz units. Maybe they do have some of those characteristics but man are they musical units!!! I've recently been trying to dethrone my Marantz 2245 but have not been very successful.

The first one I tried as of late was a Rega Brio R. It had a huge soundstage with amazing resolution but the top end was lacking any crispness at all so I moved it along (I NEED a nice top end). Next up was a Yamaha A-S1000 which I preferred to the Rega but it just wasn't that musical and it lacked dynamics.

Those are just the most recent units but in the past I tried a Luxman R115, a Adcom pre/power amp combo, a Nikko pre/power amp (very good units), as well as a Classe Cap 101 and a Mcintosh mc250.

There are many more units to try in the future but right here and now my Marantz is standing tall.

Cheers!

Sounds like your Marantz 2245 is in good working order.
What you described in your Thread title:
"Overly warm, grainy, sloppy bass...." are the classic symptoms for a received that needs to be serviced, more specifically, one that has dried out electrolytic caps.
Restore an old Marantz receiver exhibiting these symptoms, using Audio Grade caps and all will be well again.
While you may find a receiver from the early 70s that still functions well; refreshing the caps will make a noticable improvement, and you'll be loving your Marantz again.:yes:
 
Back
Top Bottom