• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz prices?

We need a Plum Crazy time machine to go back and buy all those Hemi Cudas and ZL1 Camaros!
If most are like me it was not a lack of desire that prevented buying these types of things. It was a $1.65 minimum wage and school. However I had a very brief ownership of an OP 240Z (green of course) that I wish I kept. That was...........44 years ago.
 
Turntables in particular really benefit from the economy of volume. Lots of gears and cogs and little moving parts, like watches. I don't discount new builds, but I do recognize that it was possible to make a much more robust design for less money when you were producing them by the tens of thousands than it is when producing them by the hundreds. That's not a knock on modern gear though.

Some people seemed to get very upset when I suggested that well maintained vintage TTs probably outperform most new ones at the same price level in most cases. Like I can't imagine any new TT to outperform my HK table at a $300 budget.
 
Some people seemed to get very upset when I suggested that well maintained vintage TTs probably outperform most new ones at the same price level in most cases. Like I can't imagine any new TT to outperform my HK table at a $300 budget.


I am curious, what comparison have you made to verify this?
 
Some people seemed to get very upset when I suggested that well maintained vintage TTs probably outperform most new ones at the same price level in most cases. Like I can't imagine any new TT to outperform my HK table at a $300 budget.
People can get as upset as they wish. The economy of volume is a factor in favor of vintage. Advances in design and manufacturing techniques favor modern models. My experience is that at the $300 price point you cite, the vintage models absolutely spank their modern rivals. But there are lots of price points and the best of the best being made now is probably the best there has ever been.

You also have to recognize that inflation over the decades makes the comparison invalid. For example, my JVC QL-A7 sold for $350 in 1978. It will destroy any $350 table made today, but it isn't a fair fight. To get a fair fight you have to adjust for real dollars, so my JVC is actually a $1450 table today. At that price, it can run right with the pack of modern tables. Not really better or worse, just on par. However, since I bought it a decade ago for $125, I know I got amazing value and that's all I'm really concerned with.
 
I think a lot of these increases are because of the dissipation of Covid fear. back in 2020 I picked up a really clean 4400 for $700...now they go for $2000+
I picked up a lot of pieces in 2020 and early 2021....If I want anything else I'll just wait till these jackals cause another panic.:rflmao:
 
Go figure.My newer Marantz (2005-2006) walks all over every 70s Marantz piece I have owned yet sells for a fraction of the price.To each their own.
 
People can get as upset as they wish. The economy of volume is a factor in favor of vintage. Advances in design and manufacturing techniques favor modern models. My experience is that at the $300 price point you cite, the vintage models absolutely spank their modern rivals. But there are lots of price points and the best of the best being made now is probably the best there has ever been.

You also have to recognize that inflation over the decades makes the comparison invalid. For example, my JVC QL-A7 sold for $350 in 1978. It will destroy any $350 table made today, but it isn't a fair fight. To get a fair fight you have to adjust for real dollars, so my JVC is actually a $1450 table today. At that price, it can run right with the pack of modern tables. Not really better or worse, just on par. However, since I bought it a decade ago for $125, I know I got amazing value and that's all I'm really concerned with.
Yep, same. Mine is also a $1500+ TT in today's money (It was $600 in 1986, WITHOUT a cartridge and stylus)
But clearly a lot of people insist that their $500 Fluance is way better. I'd also like to see how that $500 Fluance TT will be doing in the year 2056 :)
 
Yep, same. Mine is also a $1500+ TT in today's money (It was $600 in 1986, WITHOUT a cartridge and stylus)
But clearly a lot of people insist that their $500 Fluance is way better. I'd also like to see how that $500 Fluance TT will be doing in the year 2056 :)

With the Ortofon Blue?
 
It came with a Grado ZF3. I bought an as good as new Grado 8mz stylus from an AK member for it which lifts it up to Grado Gold level. It sounds amazing!

The $500 Fluance comes with an Ortofon Blue. That's what I meant.
 
Not sure what the point is. I'm sure that's a good cartridge. So is mine.

An Ortofon Blue is an upgrade. And the Fluance drops in price as it comes with less expensive cartridges.

And there are other examples, Rega, Music Hall just to name a few coming with excellent cartridges for less than a 1K.
 
An Ortofon Blue is an upgrade. And the Fluance drops in price as it comes with less expensive cartridges.

And there are other examples, Rega, Music Hall just to name a few coming with excellent cartridges for less than a 1K.
This is starting to sound like a p*ssing contest but I'll play.

The Grado ZF3 is comparable to a Grado Blue. The 8mz stylus boosts that cartridge to Grado Gold level. Same league as the Ortofon Blue.

I paid $425 for this TT including the stylus upgrade.
 
No there's great value on modern pre owned equipment. And new at certain price points. The average D&S poster thinks otherwise.

(As a flipper I will still be able to sell)
 
I use a Music Hall 2.2 I got in the box for $125, I installed a gifted Sumiko Talisman B MC cart, it’s better than anything I’d be using it with down the line.
 
Back
Top Bottom