• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz recievers and speakers question

jonman

Addicted Member
I am curious about what recomendations were made as to the best match ups of speakers and Recievers\amps by Marantz sales people and company back in the day when these vintage maraantz products were new. Does anyone remember and sales pitches made by Marantz dealers back then?
 
Register to hide this ad
I have a question in a simialr vein. I'm going to be getting a 2250 in a couple of days and will be looking for some speakers for it. Any recommendations out there for any that match particular well with this receiver? I was thinking Smaller Advent, Dynaco A-25, Polk monitor 5.

Randall
 
My friend's Mom bought her Marantz 2235B new with a pair of Pioneer CS-63DX speakers based on a recommendation from a sales guy. They sound great together.
 
I've been running my 2265 with a pair of Infinity Qe's the sound is superb I've been able to listen to FM radio for hours. That is highly unusual for me. This setup is quikly surplanting my CA 2010 and floor model speakers as my favorite "musical" system.
 
When my sister and brother-in-law bought their new 2270 receiver in 1974, the recommended speaker was the JBL Century 100. Of course the stereo dealer sold both brands. They also bought a Dual 1218 turntable (Shure cartridge). I fell in love with Marantz that day but as a high school student, sure couldn't afford anything like that! :)
 
The choice of which pair (or more!) of JBL, KLH, Advent or Pioneers to hook to your new Marantz usually hinged on what the dealer sold and/or made the most money from. However, Marantz made speakers too, some very nice, like the ones in these eBay auctions:

http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-COLLECTIBL...ryZ50597QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/MARANTZ-HD-770-...ryZ14993QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have no experience, but I'd like to change that! Those Marantz Imperials look like a perfect match for my 2015-
 
I have a collection of 10 Marantz receivers (2230B through 2270) and I've had what I consider to be the best sound from the following speakers:

Marantz Imperial 7
JBL 4311
Klipsch KG-4

Back in the '70s and '80s, I used the following Marantz equipment with my Imperial 7 speakers: 1060 integrated amp and 2240B, 2250, and 2250B receivers.
 
JBL L100/4311 work great with the marantzii receivers. Warm receiver and bright speakers make for great synergy.
 
JBL L100/4311 work great with the marantzii receivers. Warm receiver and bright speakers make for great synergy.
 
JBL L100/4311 work great with the marantzii receivers. Warm receiver and bright speakers make for great synergy.
 
JBL L100/4311 work great with the marantzii receivers. Warm receiver and bright speakers make for great synergy.
 
guptonr said:
I have a question in a simialr vein. I'm going to be getting a 2250 in a couple of days and will be looking for some speakers for it. Any recommendations out there for any that match particular well with this receiver? I was thinking Smaller Advent, Dynaco A-25, Polk monitor 5.

Randall

I have a 2238 paired with B&W DM601s (S II) and it is, by far, my most musical system. While not "vintage" speakers, you should be able to get a good deal on older B&W bookshelves.
 
SDA SRS 1.2 said:
When my sister and brother-in-law bought their new 2270 receiver in 1974, the recommended speaker was the JBL Century 100. Of course the stereo dealer sold both brands. They also bought a Dual 1218 turntable (Shure cartridge). I fell in love with Marantz that day but as a high school student, sure couldn't afford anything like that! :)


You hit the nail right on the head.. I used to manage a Hi-Fi Stero Store in Philly at 9th & Chestnut. The system that sold the most in the receiver catagory was the 2270 and the JBL 100's. The front end of the 2270 just had the right twist to sell it's self when set flat and compared to other receivers.

Of course we had seperates as well including the Marantz 3300..250... 500 Power amps and preamps. But for the most part we sold the crap out of the Marantz Receiver line.

Also sold a ton of Dual 1218's as well...and the Empire #398 belt drive turntable. I could go on and on...as they say ... Dem Dare was The days..:yes:
 
Thanks to all who have posted an answer or answers in the case of Alexkerhead(Just kiddng with you). You have all been helpful. I just got a set of Imperial fives and it made me wonder what the dealers would have recommended back then.
 
I've driven AR-3a, KLH Model Five and JBL L-100s with a series of Marantz receivers. The L-100s probably mate a bit better with the lower powered receivers, but the 2325 and 2600 sound mighty fine with a pair of vintage acoustic suspension speakers.
 
My 2230 really matches up well with a pair of refoamed Advent Legacy IIs, I keep trying other speakers, but keep coming back to these. I picked up a pair of Dynaco A-25s, but had other issues with them, still have hope for them.
 
Back
Top Bottom