• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz speakers - any worth listening to?

I will chime in for my regard to Marantz speakers :D

Heck yes there are Marantz speakers worth listening to!

mostly vintage M, HD, DS series and Imperials, as our fellow AKers have stated above. The other ones (SP series) that came later were ok, just nowhere near as good as them. Pay particular attention to the fact that all the good Marantzs were made in USA :D

my collection includes, 3 pairs HD770, HD77, HD66, HD880, SP1500, Model 7 MKII, M10, & DS920

I will say that another line of Marantz's worth listening to are the MKII series which were the HD/DS woofers and mids with a Imperialesque type cone tweeter with very clean highs. My Model 7 MKII's are right on par with the HD770-77's. The thing with the Model 7 MKII's is the cabinets are vinyl veneer and they do not have the bass port with Vari-Q's, hence they are strictly suspension enclosures. Nor do they have the L-pads or shiny aluminum rings. Be weary of vintage ones for sale and the seller is unwilling to divulge the fact that something may be wrong with them, all the while saying they "sound great". They almost always play dumb. I've bought some before only to find that one or two of the drivers are blown, after the seller said, oh yeah they sound great. :(
First time I've seen HD66 mentioned.Had mine for 20 years and they are great even though I now need help moving them.
 
Back
Top Bottom