• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Marantz SR 6000 DC suddenly stopped working- help!!!

skettelina

New Member
Hi!

Please excuse my complete and utter newbie status with this inquiry.

I have a marantz 6000 that suddenly stopped producing any sound the other day.
I use it regularly. There is a new turntable attached to it that hasn’t had any issues so far.

The receiver will turn on and lights go on, but absolutely no sound coming out of the speakers. No noticeable smells or heat.

The only thing I’ve tried is replacing the wires from the speakers. No luck.

What should I look at first to diagnose???

Thank you so much in advance
 
Register to hide this ad
What should I look at first to diagnose???

Welcome to AK!

You might need a bit of luck to deal with this, because AFAICT this series of models is just not that well known. I have one as my workbench receiver, but I only have the service manual for the non-"DC" model, and I'm not certain what differences there are. The two models are clearly very similar, though, enough that the non-DC manual should help. Do you have that manual? Can you say something about how well you're equipped to do troubleshooting of the "innards"?. For example, are you handy with a multimeter?

For me, a general initial approach would involve checking that the DC power supply voltages are OK, then seeing if there is any DC voltage at the power amplifier outputs. How does that sound, so far, with respect to whether you're comfortable doing the testing?

One more thing that would make sense to establish right off the bat: When the receiver was working, there should have been a quiet click from inside, a few seconds after turning it on, and there would have been no sound from the speakers until the click. Can you say whether the click is still happening or not?
 
Last edited:
thank you so much for such a thoughtful response!

I don’t have the manual, unfortunately.

I have never tinkered with my receiver before, nor have I used a multimeter, but I am very handy and follow instruction well. Happy to get in there and dig around if need be.

I can grab a multimeter as soon as tomorrow and check the DC power supply. I imagine this might be something I can google, but if you think there’s anything special I should know, please let me know!

I’m not familiar with the click sound, but when I turn it on, the lights go on the the red lights on the power level watts reader light up and then recede, as usual.
 
See if you can get the service manual here:


Alas, if you don't already have a hifiengine account, I think they are not accepting new ones.

Regardless, see if you can locate a circuit board labeled "P800". Two largish "can" capacitors are mounted to this board. The board has a number of connecting points, hopefully labeled with "P8nn" identifiers. You can check all the DC power supply voltages at these points. I don't have time right now to look up what's normal, so you can either wait for me to catch up, or you can measure DC voltage on all the points and list them here. When measuring, the negative/black lead of the meter can be connected to any convenient place on the metal chassis.

Be very careful.
 
Here is the P800 board layout & schematic for the SR6000 (non DC). See if it matches what you have in your DC version.
I have highlighted the voltages to check (as @chazix suggested).
1702831404385.png
CAUTION!!! - There are DANGEROUS voltages present inside the unit on the board that can cause electrical shock. Be cautious when measuring voltages and make sure the unit is OFF and unplugged when poking around the board. Probe voltages with one hand off of the unit.

You can download the SR-6000 (non DC) SM here for free:
https://archive.org/details/manual_SR6000_SM_MARANTZ_EN
 
Last edited:
One more question: When you switch the selector to FM and try to tune-in a strong station, do the signal strength and tuning meters move correctly
 
Back
Top Bottom