Tucker99
Super Member
I just wanted to share my latest project which I completed yesterday.
I have resolved to try and actually finish a few projects rather than continually starting new ones!
This was a severely damaged WC-22 case. The exterior was un-salvageable with gouges, a bashed rear corner and torn off veneer. A bit hard to fathom how it was so abused.
I did not take any 'before' pics but after a good cleaning I filled all of the damaged places and built up the missing corner with wood filler. This took a few applications and sanding etc to get everything both smooth and square where required.
I then re-veneered the three sides leaving the beveled front in the original (but stripped of finish) mahogany. I used a cherry veneer matching the grain as the sides wrapped around. I rubbed the veneer down to 400 grit before finishing.
Here is one photo which is after veneering but before clear coating, then three photos after completion. The little strip of veneer in the first photo is me checking how the cherry would look if just clear-coated as I had tried several different stain colors and didn't really like any of them. Elected not to use a stain at all.
The finish is simply four coats of lacquer sealer hand rubbed between and eight coats of lacquer again gently rubbed between the early coats. The metal grill is just two coats of black lacquer. The grill itself was not bad but the color looked more gray than black and the difference as I painted was quite dramatic.
I was originally going to offer this up on BarterTown but it was spoken for by a fiancee before I got it posted.
I have resolved to try and actually finish a few projects rather than continually starting new ones!
This was a severely damaged WC-22 case. The exterior was un-salvageable with gouges, a bashed rear corner and torn off veneer. A bit hard to fathom how it was so abused.
I did not take any 'before' pics but after a good cleaning I filled all of the damaged places and built up the missing corner with wood filler. This took a few applications and sanding etc to get everything both smooth and square where required.
I then re-veneered the three sides leaving the beveled front in the original (but stripped of finish) mahogany. I used a cherry veneer matching the grain as the sides wrapped around. I rubbed the veneer down to 400 grit before finishing.
Here is one photo which is after veneering but before clear coating, then three photos after completion. The little strip of veneer in the first photo is me checking how the cherry would look if just clear-coated as I had tried several different stain colors and didn't really like any of them. Elected not to use a stain at all.
The finish is simply four coats of lacquer sealer hand rubbed between and eight coats of lacquer again gently rubbed between the early coats. The metal grill is just two coats of black lacquer. The grill itself was not bad but the color looked more gray than black and the difference as I painted was quite dramatic.
I was originally going to offer this up on BarterTown but it was spoken for by a fiancee before I got it posted.