• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Martin Logan Aeon Advice

Frank Zappis

Active Member
Howdy audio karma users! I have a chance to get a pair of working, Martin Logan Aeon's for 450 from a good friend of mine. My current speakers are Klipsch KG3 and Magnepan MMGs (never use them together, but like both flavors for different music).

Is this a "good deal" and would it potentially be an upgrade?
 
Register to hide this ad
If in good shape it's an excellent deal. As far as upgrade is concerned, definitely over the Klipsch. Don't know over the Maggies. Can't say definitely; too many variables: your room, your equipment, your taste! good luck in your decision!
 
My Martin Logan EM-ESL's were a definite upgrade to my previous speakers. They're the best imaging speakers I've ever had. Fast and open too, with dynamics good enough for them to not sound boring. Just pay attention to amps. While mine don't need huge power, a good 100wpc amp is recommended. That being said, I've ran them on my Yamaha RX-A AVR without issue. ;)

Good luck...! :thumbsup:

Oh, what will your friend be using if you pick up his ML's...? :)
 
Only prob I could see if that the Aeon's are quite long in the tooth for electrostatics. I believe they came out in the early-mid 90's and have not been supported by ML for quite some time and by now I'm sure the panels are way, way past their prime.
The deal with ML electrostatic panels is you don't really notice the degradation in sound until you've replaced the panels. They may sound okay but not nearly as good as new or even new-ish.
 
Martin Logan can and does still make new panels for most models. It's on a first come, first serve basis, so panel wait can be several months. Other parts, such as older model woofers and electronics, may be nonexistent at this point, and relegated to what may be in stock. But, ML will offer advice on off the shelf woofers that will substitute, depending on the speaker.

At $450, I'd take a chance, especially since the OP knows the seller...!
 
Make sure your room will work with the ML's. They'll need a couple of feet behind them and about the same from sidewalls.
 
I have ML Aerius built in 1994. They are great speakers that need some power for them to sound their best. As for Panel availability, I know ML still makes them for the Aerius so the Aeons for sure. The Aerius panels were quoted out at 995.00.
 
I mistakenly referred to the Aeon as the Aerius - my bad. @StimpyWan should have caught me on that one. :smoke:
The Aeon I know absolutely nothing about.
Around the time @kermit z is referring to I visited an audio shop in Tulsa to audition the Aerius and really liked them but then the sales guy switched over to a pair of Sequel IIs and I fell in love with them and brought those home and lived with them for 15+ years before re-paneling them with new panels and sending the trannys and crossovers to ML. ML took them in trade and sent brand new ones back. I know I paid about a grand for the new panels then (2008) but can't recall what I paid for the electronics, but thought that ML taking my old in trade and sending me new was pretty much a class act.
Once I installed the new panels and electronics to the Sequels I realized what a difference they made. Basically the magic was back.
 
Back
Top Bottom