• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mary Travers, 1936-2009

Register to hide this ad
An immeasureable loss. My earliest musical memories are of listening to the first few Peter, Paul, & Mary LP's.
 
We saw them in concert a long time ago, and Mary did a solo without any mic or amplification and filled the Music Hall in Cleveland with her voice, and what a voice. She could really, really sing. Peter and Paul are talented, but Mary MADE that group. She could add so much emotion when she sang. What a loss. R.I.P. Mary.
 
Damn. Just heard Leaving On A Jet Plane on Sirius on the way home this evening. Did not realize why it was being played until now.

Some of my very earliest music memories were listening to my mom's Peter, Paul, and Mary records on the hi-fi console. I was about 5 and mom and dad even let me put the records on by myself. My favorites were, of course, Puff and Blue. The live version of Blue and its "satire" of Rock N Roll is probably the song that first turned me on to the sound of Rock Music.

I'm spinning "Mary" right now. Great voice. Great record.

My mom is in the hospital right now. Thankfully, she is due to be released tomorrow. When she comes over to the house, I'm spinning "Peter Paul and Mary In Concert". Thanks Mary and Mom.
 
Thinking back to the many times I saw them, whether in concert or on television, I always thought Mary the most talented and dynamic performer of the group. Peter and Paul were good, too, but not distinctive as performers the way Mary was. Yes, she wasn't the most technically proficient vocalist but as a singer and popularizer of folk music she had few peers.

She had been quite ill for many years. Her suffering is over now. May she rest in quiet peace.
 
A sad loss of a woman whose voice made all our lives a little bit better.

Incidentally, I think this is the third thread on this same subject (I already posted on another); perhaps they could be merged?
 
She was the one that made her qroup a little different than other trios out there. I was part of one of those groups in the 60s and we did lots of listening to their recordings to get an idea of how to "sell" a song. She was a class act and will be greatly missed!
 
Oh, how sad and what a shock! I didn't know she was ill. My earliest musical experiences were Peter, Paul and Mary, Pete Seeger and The Beatles. RIP, Mary.:tears:
 
When I bought my first RTR (I can't remember what it was, but it was stereo with built-in speakers) It came with a box of 7" tapes. My favorite was and still is the one with 4 PPM albums and one Donovan. I saw Peter Paul and Mary at least three times at the Garden State Arts Center in Homdell back in the 80s. Each time it was a magical experience. RIP Mary
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom