• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Master List of "replace on sight" components?

Dave_DC

New Member
Hi All:

Has anyone ever compiled a master list of "replace on sight" components? To qualify, the part should not just be prone to failure, but rather deserving of replacement outright. These would be parts you'd replace on a unit even before its first dim-bulb power-up. One part I've seen mentioned are the "black flag" caps found some Sansui gear which can fail and cause oscillation and permanent damage to unobtainable output transistors. Another are those horrible exploding Rifa EMC caps found across the power line on Revox A77 AND B77 tape recorders (and some Tek scopes). I ask because I have a AU-919 and a MAC 1700 in need of restoration and I thought I'd ask the experts first to avoid the rookie mistake of not replacing any "high liability" components. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
 
Register to hide this ad
I'm a fairly new hobbyist, but find joy in refurbing equipment..

I replace all electrolytics most of the time for vintage gear more than 30 yrs old as a preventive measure.
Transistors with black legs or any of the known to fail transistors.
Selenium rectifiers
Same for any serviceable moving parts.. lubricants, belts, rollers, etc.
Any items with visible physical damage.. frayed wires, cracked components, burned/overheated parts
Maybe not replacing, but I've been reflowing solder joints more recently as well.
 
Hi All:

Has anyone ever compiled a master list of "replace on sight" components? To qualify, the part should not just be prone to failure, but rather deserving of replacement outright. These would be parts you'd replace on a unit even before its first dim-bulb power-up. One part I've seen mentioned are the "black flag" caps found some Sansui gear which can fail and cause oscillation and permanent damage to unobtainable output transistors. Another are those horrible exploding Rifa EMC caps found across the power line on Revox A77 AND B77 tape recorders (and some Tek scopes). I ask because I have a AU-919 and a MAC 1700 in need of restoration and I thought I'd ask the experts first to avoid the rookie mistake of not replacing any "high liability" components. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Here are xstrs:

https://audiokarma.org/forums/threa...ilure-prone-whatever-and-replacements.731653/
 
Back
Top Bottom