btol
Well-Known Member
Hey All,
So I have a Heathkit AA-32 that I love. It runs off four EL86's and three 6EU7's. I'm not as concerned about the 6eu7's but I'd like to buy a set of four EL86's as backup for whenever the current EL86's crap out (I must admit, I partly want to do a little tube rolling too).
Here's my question: Is purchasing a MATCHED quad of NOS EL86's going to be a huge step up sonically from purchasing just four of the same NOS EL86's? Obviously, price point is the issue. With EL86's being on the harder to find side, I've seen a matched quad on the auction site go for upwards of $200 bucks. Taking a look recently, though, there are a couple sets of unmatched NOS EL86's that look interesting. Here they are:
1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360532136838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140664466776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleeve-of-N...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2325aa922d
4. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-EL6...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c2e2e47ea
What do you all think? Should I go for one of these, and if so which set? Or would I be better off just putting the money towards a proper matched quad?
Thanks in advance!
Bryan
So I have a Heathkit AA-32 that I love. It runs off four EL86's and three 6EU7's. I'm not as concerned about the 6eu7's but I'd like to buy a set of four EL86's as backup for whenever the current EL86's crap out (I must admit, I partly want to do a little tube rolling too).
Here's my question: Is purchasing a MATCHED quad of NOS EL86's going to be a huge step up sonically from purchasing just four of the same NOS EL86's? Obviously, price point is the issue. With EL86's being on the harder to find side, I've seen a matched quad on the auction site go for upwards of $200 bucks. Taking a look recently, though, there are a couple sets of unmatched NOS EL86's that look interesting. Here they are:
1. http://www.ebay.com/itm/360532136838?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
2. http://www.ebay.com/itm/140664466776?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
3. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleeve-of-N...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item2325aa922d
4. http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMPEREX-EL6...pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item1c2e2e47ea
What do you all think? Should I go for one of these, and if so which set? Or would I be better off just putting the money towards a proper matched quad?
Thanks in advance!
Bryan