• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Matching these tt/carts/outputs

Ccryan

New Member
I have a small house but somehow convinced myself it needs two turntable systems. I just picked up a used cartridge from eBay and am now matching turntables/cartridges/outputs.I’m trying to minimize the number of times that I setup the tt/cart. Suggestions on matching:
Denon DP-59L,
SL-1200MK2,
Shure V15vxmr (mm, 3mV),
Denon DL-110 (homc, 1.6mV),
Marantz 2250B (1.8mV, 47k ohms),
McIntosh MA5100 (2mV, 47k ohms).
 
Register to hide this ad
The thing is, the output from any given cartridge is going to be the same, regardless in which turntable you install it.

Doug
 
You are probably asking which turntable to pair with which cartridge in terms of effective tonearm mass and stylus compliance. The Shure V15 will be high-compliance and the Denon DL-110 is medium-complaince.

The SL1200 arm has an effective-mass of 12g with the original headshell, which is at the low end of medium-mass, favouring cartridges towards higher compliance, although strictly medium-compliance cartridges should be fine. You could use either cartridge with it. With the DL-110, you could use a heavier headshell if you think you need more arm mass.

It looks like the DP-59L has one of those flexible tonearms with a 'Q-Damping' feature, allowing cartridges of a range of compliances to be used. So, I'd say that you could use either cartridge on it.
 
Crab33, that’s the question I wish I was knowledgeable enough to articulate. If I understand you correctly, with regards to tone arm mass, either cartridge is suitable for either tt. Given the input sensitivities of the Mac and Marantz, would one of those favor one cartridge? Or does one just sound better, for example, with 1st gen solid state like the Mac?
 
Last edited:
Cc: I'd expect the Shure to be more highly compliant than the Denon, so I'd tend to put the Shure on the Denon and the Denon on the Technics.

Oh, and mind you that the output spec style of the Denon is different (also a modulation velocity of 5 cm/s, but lateral/mono in modulation only - whereas Shure typically measured in 45°/stereo modulation), so translated to the same measument style as used by Shure the output spec of the Denon would rise to ca. 2.25 mV - not quite as loud as the Shure (ca. -2.5 dB), but not as far apart as it would seem at the first glance.

And the input sensitivities of both the Marantz and the McIntosh are pretty much the same (1.8 compared to 2 mV would translate to a difference of ca. 0.9 dB only -> insignificant) and should be high enough for both the Denon and the Shure - in combination with records with a rather conservative/low recording level, you might not be able to access the full output power of either the Marantz or the McIntosh, though, but in practice that should rarely be necessary anyway. One could argue, that it might seem wiser to connect the table with the Denon to the Marantz, though, in order to reduce the output level difference to the Shure rather than to further increase it.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini
 
Back
Top Bottom