• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

May sound stupid, but how to I remove the slipmat from a Thorens TD 135

FDecker

New Member
Dear forum members,
I bought a Telefunken Studio 220 some time ago. It is based on a Thorens TD 135 with some small changes to it. In order to clean the whole system, I wanted to take off the slipmat. But I cant. It almost feels like the metal ring in the middle of the slipmat is fixed to the platter. I tried some force but it doesn't come off. There are no screws, no clamp, nothing what cold keep it in place. But even with some force close to permanently damaging the slipmat, it doesn't move at all.
What am I doing wrong.
Anyone here to the rescue?
Thank you Frank
 
Register to hide this ad
Use a couple of thin putty knives on opposite sides of the metal ring in the center of the platter and lift evenly, w/o putting dents in the ring. It's not fixed, but it's tough to pull out. When you manage to lift the ring just a little, insert harder flat screw drivers in the gap, instead of the putty knives, and keep at it.
 
FWIW, this is what the stock TD-135 platter mat retainer ring looks like on the other side:

R8ambkn.jpg
 
Use a couple of thin putty knives on opposite sides of the metal ring in the center of the platter and lift evenly, w/o putting dents in the ring. It's not fixed, but it's tough to pull out. When you manage to lift the ring just a little, insert harder flat screw drivers in the gap, instead of the putty knives, and keep at it.
Thank you tnsilver, sounds like a good plan. Will give it a try…. And it works, great!
 
FWIW, this is what the stock TD-135 platter mat retainer ring looks like on the other side:

R8ambkn.jpg
A pictures tells more than words. This picture makes it clear why the mat is so hard to remove. I am asking myself why they choose to have such a close, clamped contact between mat and spindle. Adding such a part adds to the cost and complexity of the system. Even if is only a cheap part. Interesting….
 
The TD-135 was a cheaper, consumer grade variant of the flagship TD-124. It was cheaper - but not cheap. Those famous Thorens tolerances are all over that turntable too. Fact is, 60 years later, the mat is still retained. If you try to buy that mat retaining ring, assuming you'll find one, you're bound to discover it is not a cheap part. ;)

EDIT: Oh well, just when I was about to make a point... https://www.ebay.com/itm/254841452999 (no affiliation)
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom