• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC 1.2 KW with Rel G1 Mk ii (hookup question)

zagoras

New Member
Hi,

My new REL G1 Mk ii finally arrived today. I am planning to use the sub for both home theater and stereo purposes.

I have a connection question.

I am using the XLR connection for the LFE. So no problems there...

However REL also recommends to use simultaneously high level input for stereo connection and it comes with a supplied neutrik speakon interconnect for this purpose.

Here is the question: the supplied cable has one yellow, one red and one black (ground) wire attached to the neutrik speakon interconnect. Neutrik goes into sub. What am i going to the with the yellow, red and ground wires at the other end?

1. Should i attach them all to the speker terminals one of my mono MC 1.2KW’s, or

2. Should i attach the red cable to the speaker terminal of my mono 1 (left MC1.2KW) and yellow cable to mono 2 (rlght MC1.2 KW)

3. How about the ground wire (black)?

Thanks for your feedback...
 
Register to hide this ad
As your amps are quad balanced, the negatives aren't common with ground. So, best to call your dealer or McIntosh and get the straight scoop.
 
Yep do not use the high level inputs driven form the 1.2KW. Speaker negative as Tony pointed out is not common to ground.

Any sensible sub manufacturer would of course have the high level inputs above ground anyway....but you need to make sure.....I am sure the information would be in the sub manual somewhere, McIntosh aren't the only guys to use floating outputs...

I'd drive the sub from another post volume output on the pre-amp, job done, problem solved...
 
Any sensible sub manufacturer would of course have the high level inputs above ground anyway....but you need to make sure.....I am sure the information would be in the sub manual somewhere, McIntosh aren't the only guys to use floating outputs...

Yeah...the sub manual tells you to consult the gear/amplifier dealer/company.
 
Just use the XLR connection ONLY.

Ron-C

Thanks for all the responses.

However I am using both MX 122 as well as CA 50. When I am using my MC system for Home Theater purposes, I am using my CA 50 in passthru mode, which is connected to my MC 1.2 KW’s. Sub is really fine in this case.

However when I am using my MC system only for stereo purposes, then of course MX 122 is switched off, only CA 50 is in play, therefore there is unfortunately no Sub connection.

So bottom line, the reason I have asked the question is, to find a solution to be able to use my SUB both for stereo, as well as for home theater purposes using to different devices (MX122 and CA 50)...
 
Thanks for all the responses.

However I am using both MX 122 as well as CA 50. When I am using my MC system for Home Theater purposes, I am using my CA 50 in passthru mode, which is connected to my MC 1.2 KW’s. Sub is really fine in this case.

However when I am using my MC system only for stereo purposes, then of course MX 122 is switched off, only CA 50 is in play, therefore there is unfortunately no Sub connection.

So bottom line, the reason I have asked the question is, to find a solution to be able to use my SUB both for stereo, as well as for home theater purposes using to different devices (MX122 and CA 50)...

While you could feed the sub via either of the switched outputs of the C50, you wouldn't want do that simulataneously with the MX122 also connected to the sub. You'd likely have to build an XLR switchbox and activate it via the remote trigger of the MX122 (same as connects to the PASS THRU input trigger of your C50) - MX122 OFF, sub is connected to the the C50, MX122 ON, sub is connected to the MX122. Then, you'd set the sub level on the sub itself to the desired loudness with the C50 and let the MX122 adjust its output via the room correction to be ideal at that setting.

Really, this shouldn't be too terribly difficult.
 
Perhaps your REL dealer can walk you through the correct hookup. There is a way to make this work, PM me if interested.
Regards,
Tom
 
Perhaps your REL dealer can walk you through the correct hookup. There is a way to make this work, PM me if interested.
Regards,
Tom

Just curious...why would a solution that might possibly help someone else in the future be a private matter?
 
Great question, thank you for asking. I do not want to countermand the very clear guidance provided by a manufacturer in a public forum. The method I am suggesting will work for the OP but may not work more broadly, potentially creating confusion.
There is plenty of that already! :)
Tom
 
Back
Top Bottom