• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC 4100 or MC 2105 or keep looking?

Mingo

stranger in a strange land
Subscriber
Sorry for the newbie question, but I've never owned McIntosh gear and am thinking about taking the plunge. There are a couple of units at the local shop that have been recapped and are available. Neither has a case and the cosmetics on both is good. Price for the MC 4100 after taxes is about $1900. For the MC 2105, the price is a little over $2100. No preamp needed for the 4100, but the 2105 has the beautiful meters. From my limited knowledge, it seems that the prices are not out of line, though not a bargain. Space and budget wise, the timing is not great either. I know its subjective, but if I bite the bullet, which is the best option? Or better to keep looking, especially since I am in no hurry?

mail
 
Register to hide this ad
The best option is the one the that sounds the best to your ears unless you are looking for an investment then I advise looking for a bargain. Personally I have never liked the sound of anything made by Mcintosh that I have heard tube or SS but my experience is very limited and there is likely many items I would like if I ever get to hear them.


Regards Snow
 
Last edited:
You should post this in the McIntosh forum, where the Mac vets will provide excellent advice. Just report your thread and ask the mods to move it.
 
I posted here since I mentioned and asked about prices. If I go this route, I would rather not overpay! I spent some time in the McIntosh forum today and found some answers and lots of opinions - not a surprise. As I know, there are so many variables that it is hard to say one is better than the other. It depends...

The best option is the one the that sounds the best to your ears unless you are looking for an investment then I advise looking for a bargain. Personally I have never liked the sound of anything made by Mcintosh that I have heard tube or SS but my experience is very limited and there is likely many items I would like if I ever get to hear them.


Regards Snow

I agree Snow. Bargains are nice, but listening is the best test. The MC2105 may have sold, and I was really drawn to the meters, but it looks like a MC2200 might now be available. I have no McIntosh experience, so no real baseline for comparison. I have plenty of amps and no need for a new amp so time is on my side. Yes it is.
 
The reason I mentioned this is because not many McIntosh aficionados go outside of that forum. You'll get a few opinions here, but those guys can really get down and deep with analyzing the equipment. That will really help you to make your decision.

I've listened to a few McIntosh products and own quite a few, but I've never listened to either of the choices presented. Only thing I can say is I love the blue meters and I would've chosen the MC2105 and found a C3x preamp to match it with. The MC2200 is more powerful than the MC2105, but again, no meters makes it a loser to me.

Regarding the MC4100, don't you mean the MAC4100 receiver? It is one of McIntosh's better receiver products, but not much good to you if you don't use AM/FM radio. However, it is said to have a great turntable section. It is rated at 75 wpc, which is decent power for a receiver.
 
It depends on what the budget is. Keep in mind a preamplifier will be needed with a standalone power amplifier so the initial cost of the MC2105 is just the start.

If you're looking to "wade the waters" as it were without getting too spendy, the value & versatility of the MAC4100 is hard to beat. It's also one the very few receivers that can drive speaker impedances as low as 2 ohms - a distinction exclusive to McIntosh receivers to my knowledge. The 5 band EQ is extremely useful for making the errant recording more enjoyable and the McIntosh continuously variable loudness is another nice touch- its elimination from newer McIntosh products is mourned by many.

In this writer's opinion, the MAC4100 was an instant classic receiver the day it was released. Although exact production isn't able to be confirmed it was likely McIntosh's single best selling unit of all time. Being that the 4100 commands similar or slightly less than the near identical but tunerless MA6200 variant, it would be foolish to pass on a clean example on the basis that the tuner wouldn't be used.

Most recent MAC4100 discussion on AK which may help shed more light.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-exactly-makes-the-mac-4100-so-great.992591/
 
Last edited:
I posted here since I mentioned and asked about prices. If I go this route, I would rather not overpay! I spent some time in the McIntosh forum today and found some answers and lots of opinions - not a surprise. As I know, there are so many variables that it is hard to say one is better than the other. It depends...
It depends on what the budget is. Keep in mind a preamplifier will be needed with a standalone power amplifier so the initial cost of the MC2105 is just the start.

If you're looking to "wade the waters" as it were without getting too spendy, the value & versatility of the MAC4100 is hard to beat. It's also one the very few receivers that can drive speaker impedances as low as 2 ohms - a distinction exclusive to McIntosh receivers to my knowledge. The 5 band EQ is extremely useful for making the errant recording more enjoyable and the McIntosh continuously variable loudness is another nice touch- its elimination from newer McIntosh products is mourned by many.

In this writer's opinion, the MAC4100 was an instant classic receiver the day it was released. Although exact production isn't able to be confirmed it was likely McIntosh's single best selling unit of all time. Being that the 4100 commands similar or slightly less than the near identical but tunerless MA6200 variant, it would be foolish to pass on a clean example on the basis that the tuner wouldn't be used.

Most recent MAC4100 discussion on AK which may help shed more light.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/what-exactly-makes-the-mac-4100-so-great.992591/
Valuable and informed opinion from one of the McIntosh forum experts.
 
Most recent MAC4100 discussion on AK which may help shed more light.

Thanks, I found that thread and others to be very helpful. I now need to read up on the MC2200. I just bought a Sony TA-N 9000ES on a whim the day before the McIntosh gear came up for sale, so I'm not hurting for new-to-me gear.
 
Thanks, I found that thread and others to be very helpful. I now need to read up on the MC2200. I just bought a Sony TA-N 9000ES on a whim the day before the McIntosh gear came up for sale, so I'm not hurting for new-to-me gear.

I have a MC2205, the metered version of the MC2200, and I really like it a lot. I also have a MA6200 which is the tuner lacking version of the MAC4100. I drove Kef Concerto and Klipsch Cornwalls with the MC2205. They both sound great with it! The MA6200 is about to start his life in an MCM Teak Console handmade in 1959. Very nice lines. I've been hanging on to it for the completion of the renovations, which is coming soon. I have a number of speakers I'm going to try pairing with it. Location of speakers will be very limited, so let the best speaker win. My choices are from highly unlikely to most likely, Sony SS-G7s, Genesis Physics IIs, EPI M100s, ESS AMT 4s, and Kef 103.2s. Whichever sounds best in that space and meet WAF will go with the MA6200.
 
Not surprisingly, there seem to be a lot of good reviews on the MAC4100, MC 2105, and MC2200. There's also the school of thought that McIntosh is overrated and there's better gear for less money. Between my reading up on the various models and the AK input, I'm still not sure which direction to go. If I can finish up a project for work tomorrow, I plan to go by the shop and see what's available with an eye on making a deal.
 
Not surprisingly, there seem to be a lot of good reviews on the MAC4100, MC 2105, and MC2200. There's also the school of thought that McIntosh is overrated and there's better gear for less money. Between my reading up on the various models and the AK input, I'm still not sure which direction to go. If I can finish up a project for work tomorrow, I plan to go by the shop and see what's available with an eye on making a deal.

I think it all comes down to how you hear. I've found McIntosh from the very beginning to be surprisingly good sounding. It made speakers that sounded OK sound good. And on the other side, I find the large Kef speakers don't sound as good on my MC2205 than they do with my Bose 1801. I also have a Yamaha M40 amp and a Sansui AU-9900 which I use regularly. And recently got back from my tech a Quad 33/303 set.
 
Not surprisingly, there seem to be a lot of good reviews on the MAC4100, MC 2105, and MC2200. There's also the school of thought that McIntosh is overrated and there's better gear for less money.
The great thing about McIntosh is that it holds it's value very well. So if you get a good deal you're sure to get your money back.
 
Agreed with what has been said already. You will also want a little more detail on the "recapped" work. Were the large filter capacitors replaced in the MC2105 (they go for $50 a pop). You will need to add the cost of a preamp as well. I love those meters, but at $2100 , you can also find a MC2205 (perhaps in stock but good working condition.)
 
Some unexpected expenses kept me from getting back to the shop until this afternoon. I had decided on the MAC 4100 and tracking its availability, so knew it was still available. As often seems to happen, they sold the receiver a couple hours before I showed up. I've got plenty of listening options, so it's only a minor disappointment, but I got a feeling a McIntosh is in my future. Thanks for all the input!
 
Bummer!

As a seller, I have also seen this phenomenon. It is weird, but if the item is considered a good unit, but still doesn't sell, will often get interest multiple times the day they sell. It is one reason I truly believe that even inanimate objects have some kind of..., perhaps attraction?
 
Back
Top Bottom