• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC 452 Thoughts?

The MC452 should be relatively easy to come by on the used market. Lots of previous owners have traded or sold their 452s to move to the newer model. Although they don't list it on their website, Overture AV in Wilmington Delaware often comes by used McIntosh audio equipment. A call to them or Audio Classics would be my first choices.
 
Last edited:
I bought a B1 condition MC352 of AC back in 2012, and to be honest, it might as well have been new, A1!!

B1 is exceptional, and I would not hesitate. If there is a B1 condition MC452, make your move, it will be the best audio purchase you have ever made, so far until the next McIntosh thing you buy...
Same here. Audio Classics sold me a B1 MC500 a few years back and the sucker looked brand new to me. I swore it just came off of the line.
 
Did you have it shipped to NZ, or did you live in America at the time?!
They shipped it to NZ for me, I am born and bred, lived here all my life, but have travelled...
Yeah they were great, they had never done such a big international purchase, I had to send them my credentials to prove it was really me etc etc, which I think is good business.
They then happily shipped it to NZ for me.
It was a B1, and it was mint!!
Mike Sastra was the salesman, really nice helpful guy!!
 
I will chime in to add that a pair of 501's doesn't suck either, for about the same money. I believe they are very similar in specs and tech to the 452 but the experts can tell me if I'm right or wrong there.

jblnut
 
I will chime in to add that a pair of 501's doesn't suck either, for about the same money. I believe they are very similar in specs and tech to the 452 but the experts can tell me if I'm right or wrong there.

jblnut
Completely different amps.....sound, looks, earlier design, no Thermatrak Transistors etc etc....But still hold their own.
The 452, takes up less room too.
 
and just so everyone knows.....I made my best buy comment because everyone else got their 452 from a hip and cool store, and I got mine from the most unhip uncool store......it was not meant as a shot to AC they are great guys also, I just already had a local 452 I could get.
 
Buying from AC gives piece of mind, knowing you are not getting someone else's problems. I bought my preamp from them, stated B1 condition. Like others have said, it looked as new, came with a remote and owners manual that looked like they were never opened. Also came in the factory boxes.
I think I dealt with Steve but my memory is short. No tax unless you live in NY.
 
When I have the money, which my plan is 6 months of saving, I will check out Audio Classics for sure, and Best Buy and any other dealer in the NYC metro area. Hell, I'll even bring cash to the loading dock of McIntosh Inc. if they'll sell direct.
banana.gif
 
I got a nice bonus yesterday and could pull the trigger, but apparently my wife feels like our 25 year old furnace needs replacing, I on the other hand am willing to chop wood all summer for an MC452. Seriously, where is this woman's priority's?
 
get an interest free credit card, look on USAdio mart. get one that's not full price. AND get the furnace.
 
You could buy a pair of 2301 or two 2152's to Keep the house warm. It all depends on the speakers you have as to which amp or amps you should have. A 452 is to big for older Mac speakers if you allow the power guard light to flash. Newer speakers its not quite enough, but then neither are a pair of 601's. I personally like the 1201's and 1.2 K's they sound just as good a 2 watts as they do at 12 watts or 1200 watts. And with close to 1800 watt peak capability that's enough power for any inefficient speaker system. But I am old school and with 95 db 4 ft 1 watt speakers try- amped my MC 207's are plenty enough for me, with average listening loud levels being 2 watts and instantaneous peaks less than 10 watts indicated. Every unit I have bought from Audio classics looked new to me excluding one. A MR 7084 and Steve warned me it had a few scratches.on the case. It had an AM intermittent, but the boys fixed for me. and I painted the case and it looks like new to most folks. But of course Mac people would recognize right off that the paint job though not glossy is just a shade off from factory original. Especially if you flip it over and look at the the original paint on the bottom.
 
Back
Top Bottom