• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC 452 versus MC 601 versus Accuphase A 60

I would have got the MC601's if I could have, I don't need anything like that sort of power, but McIntosh is seriously expensive in New Zealand, I paid more here for my MC452 than you would pay for a pair of MC601's in the USA, boo hoo for me...:pity:

I don't know if there is a lot of difference in them, 150 watts more, and split up into 2 chassis bigger VU meters.....certainly looks nicer, and the extra power "feels" better, but in reality is it? Hard to say, at 120dbA when you want the last 2db, I guess it probably does.
So long as I am driving 94db/1watt/3ft speakers, I will never need more power so the 452 is good for me.....still doesn't stop me wanting the MC601's......or the 1.2KW, or the 2KW......haha where does it end?
 
kev, you made the right choice. Personally,the giant cyclops meters on the big McIntosh mono amplifiers just never appealed to me. IMHO, the MC452 is the sexiest of the late model McIntosh amplifiers . . . and by a LONG shot.

So, how often do you light the PG lamps on that 452 with those speakers?
 
kev, you made the right choice. Personally,the giant cyclops meters on the big McIntosh mono amplifiers just never appealed to me. IMHO, the MC452 is the sexiest of the late model McIntosh amplifiers . . . and by a LONG shot.

So, how often do you light the PG lamps on that 452 with those speakers?

Yeah, there is something about the lines of the MC452, it is a pretty cool looking amp....I've never seen a Mc with the big meters, so I don't even know if I would like them, I think in theory I would, but who knows......:scratch2:

Never, I have never lit the PG lights.....I was cranking Van Halen II the other day, really giving it some, and yeah.....nah, no PG lights......
I would never go louder at home, I get enough of it at work...LOL....
 
Back
Top Bottom