• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC cart for SL-1200

In addition to just worrying about which cartridge will work with the SL-1200's tonearm, we also need to consider which cartridges will work best with the OP's built in MC stage, unless he is going to buy another phono preamp.

You bring up a good point. Yes, a phono preamp is planned for the future but not for a while. Since I'm planning on stepping up to a MC cart, I want whatever phono preamp I get to be a good one :thmbsp:

BTW, is there a way to add resistance to the Yammie phono stage to give a wider range of useable carts?
 
As to the resistance question, the answer is no. You can only reduce not add. So if you wanted to use the Denon ,but that needs in my experience 500 ohm, you would have to set the preamp to 1kohm and load that setting down. To get there you would need a set of loading plugs with between 800-900ohm resistors.
 
The CX-630 has no additional settings for resistance. Maybe you're thinking of the
cx-830? Just to add in a twist, are high-output MC carts sensitive to resistance loadings? I ask because I could move around some gear and use my Sony STR-DA5ES as a pre. I've used it as a pre before and I believe it's a bit better than the Yammie. The 'DA5ES and a high-output MC cart might make a potent combo.
 
I am just going off what the downloaded manual said were the options. I wouldn't use a receiver as a preamp in an analog setup, but that is just me. Choose whatever you think is best and move forward.
 
Coming soon! STR-DA5ES vs CX-630 shootout! Hey AMPHEAD, thanks for the tip on the Denon DL-110. Such a price could make a really good phono preamp happen sooner.

Well, last night I lugged the 45lb. beast ( AKA Sony STR-DA5ES ) downstairs and hooked it up n place of the Yamaha pre and gave a quick listen. Honestly it sounds a wee bit better than the Yammie. A bit better detail in the midrange, a bit cleaner in the bass. Using the Sony will limit me to using high-output MC carts but I can live with that.
 
Last edited:
Another cancidate

Still doing research on MC carts. Came across the Sumeko Bluepoint II and it seems like a good candidate. Anybody using one of these on their '1200?
 
Back
Top Bottom