• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mc ok?

Klipshman

Well-Known Member
I have a couple of Technics TT's, a SL-3200 and 1700 and wanted to try a MC cartridge such as the Denon 110. One TT tied into a Marantz 2265 and the other to a Pioneer SX-750. Would there be a problem with the MC cartridge in either of those cases? I've always used MM cartridges before with no problem.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Denon 110 has a high enough output to allow you to use with a MM phono input.

My only caveat would be matching the cartridge's compliance to the Marantz/Pioneer tonearms. The 110 is better suited to a medium-mass arm.
 
I do not see why you couldn't use a MC on your turntables. You need to make sure your receivers can accommodate a MC cartridge. With a HOMC such as the Denon DL-110, the load is 47kOhms, which is the same load as a MM cartridge. I assume your receivers can only accommodate a MM cartridge, so you will be ok.

The disadvantage to this is if you wanted to try a MC load compared to the 47kOhms. In order for this to happen, you will need an external phono preamp. My advice would be to not use your receiver's phono inputs and buy an Emotiva XPS-1 phono preamp. This way you can do an A/B test between both loads.

I have a vintage McIntosh MA5100 integrated amplifier, but I have never used the phono input. The XPS-1 is a good small preamp that doesn't take up a lot of real estate in/around your system, which is good if your system is lacking room for any additional gear.

I hope this will help in your decision. :music:
 
I have a third receiver, a HK PM650, and it has provisions for either type cartridge with two sets of inputs in back for phono, one marked MC and the other MM. The other two receivers only have the usual phono input with no designation for whatever cartridge you're using.
 
The 110 can be used with either MM or MC. MC will be a louder signal and may overdrive downstream components, but the sound profile is a little different.
 
cdk99 is correct.

i would not recommend using the Denon 110 in the MC input because of the potential for overload, as cdk explained above.
 
I think with this cartridge, or any other MC cartridge, the HK would be the receiver to use as it has the two phono inputs I mentioned(MM and MC) and I selector switch on front to select either. Capacitance know gives you a Normal-50-100-200uf capacity.
 
So just to understand this cart will work at 47kohms on my accuphase .that does not have an mc option.
 
Back
Top Bottom