• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2000 Just Developed a Very Low Volume Buzz

I just noticed a very low volume buzz in the set of speakers that are driven by my MC2000. The buzz is kind of intermittent in that it goes something like long buzz, silence, three short buzzes, silence and then a long buzz again. IT was never there before tonight. This buzz seems to repeat over and over again. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this? I just added an MDA1000 between my MVP871 and my C2300 but I've got two sets of speakers and two MC275's in mono mode that are driving the second set of speakers and these are perfectly quiet. Thanks for any help that can be offered.
 
Register to hide this ad
I just noticed a very low volume buzz in the set of speakers that are driven by my MC2000. The buzz is kind of intermittent in that it goes something like long buzz, silence, three short buzzes, silence and then a long buzz again. IT was never there before tonight. This buzz seems to repeat over and over again. Does anyone have any idea what might be the cause of this? I just added an MDA1000 between my MVP871 and my C2300 but I've got two sets of speakers and two MC275's in mono mode that are driving the second set of speakers and these are perfectly quiet. Thanks for any help that can be offered.

I had a similar problem. There is a thread somewhere about this. Then I added an Isotek Titan; Hey presto! No more buzz:tresbon: Lifting grounds etc etc didn't make any difference.
 
There are many things that could cause this. Disconnect the amp from the preamp and turn it on with the speakers connected. Do you hear the hum?

thanks,
Ron-C
 
Thanks all for your input.
Howie - The system is connected to an RGPG 1200 conditioner and was totally quiet prior to the other day. The other amps are still quiet so I've got to believe the RGPG is doing OK.
Ron-C - The buzz is still there when I disconnect the amp from the preamp.
Ryan - I've tried turning down the gain and the buzz essentially stays the same.
Any other suggestions guys? Does this additional information help point you to an answer? Does it sound like a tube in the MC2000? It would have to be one common to both sides as the buzz comes from both speakers. I've not looked at the manual yet but if there is a common tube, I'll check it.
 
If the hum is still there with just the amp and speakers connected, I would have the amp checked out. Make sure all light dimers are turned all the way up and the speaker wires are not coiled up by or running next to AC cords.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
MC2000 is dual mono with twin power supplies. If the hum is on both channels I suspect it has an external cause.

Thanks,
Ron-C
 
If the hum is still there with just the amp and speakers connected, I would have the amp checked out. Make sure all light dimers are turned all the way up and the speaker wires are not coiled up by or running next to AC cords.

thanks,
Ron-C

This is GREAT advice! This was an issue for me when I installed my REL B-1. I couldn't figure out what was causing the hum until I remembered somebody on the board posted about the need to be careful to separate the signal and speaker wires from AC power cords. (seems obvious, but I was learning!)

Michael
 
Everyone:
Thanks for the help. I'm not exactly sure what's going on but I've got a set of amplified speakers connected to my PC. The PC speaker amp, the PC speakers and the PC itself are in close proximity to my MC2000. I discovered that the buzz is coming from the electronics associated with the PC speaker amplifier. The PC speakers also have the same buzz. I solved the problem by turning off the PC speaker amplifier. All is quiet again. Haven't figured out how the buzz gets from the PC speaker amplifier into the MC2000, though.
 
Everyone:
Thanks for the help. I'm not exactly sure what's going on but I've got a set of amplified speakers connected to my PC. The PC speaker amp, the PC speakers and the PC itself are in close proximity to my MC2000. I discovered that the buzz is coming from the electronics associated with the PC speaker amplifier. The PC speakers also have the same buzz. I solved the problem by turning off the PC speaker amplifier. All is quiet again. Haven't figured out how the buzz gets from the PC speaker amplifier into the MC2000, though.

Congrats, dirty PCs are the bane of good audio everywhere!:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom