• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2100 and preamp output voltage

EWizard

Super Member
I am thinking about picking up an MC2100 for use with my 16Ohm Bozak speakers.
The pre-amp (for now) that I will be using with it is a Pioneer Elite SC-65.
One thing that I am not sure about is whether these two pieces of gear are compatible when in regards to pre-amp output voltage and MC2100 voltage.
Can anyone tell me?
I can look up some specs on both if someone can tell me what to look for.
Thanks!
 
Register to hide this ad
From what I see, input sensitivity of the MC2100 is 0.5V. That's pretty low requirement/high sensitivity. Pretty much anything can provide that output, or more.
 
And if you're concerned that the MC2100 might be too sensitive for the preamp, the volume knobs on the amp can lower the output. With a few different preamps, I've had good results turning the MC2100 knobs to about half power. That gives a nice usable range on the preamp volume control.
 
Prices are so reasonable for this model, and the fact that it has 16Ohm taps too make it a winner for me. The thought is that I'll bi-amp these things at some point down the road.
 
The MC2100s and MC250s are both super inexpensive ways to test the waters with McIntosh. I've got several MC2300s. Aside from the difference in output, they sound identical to the MC250 and MC2100.
 
With the controls in the 12:00 position the sensitivity is 2.5 volts as I remember, with .5 volts at full CW position.
 
Back
Top Bottom