• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2205 or MC2300

geoff136

New Member
This are my set up:
McIntosh C2200
" MCD205
" MC2205
" Spks. LS340

I am planning to trade my MC2205 to MC2300. Will this amps works on my
system set up? I understand that their are no power guard on the Mc2300 but how can I prevent from clipping and not blowing up my speakers. Thanks. Your inputs would be appreciated.
 
Register to hide this ad
Well, before giving my 2cents, I'd have to ask you why you are trading the 2205 for the 2300 in the first place. I own a 2205 and am of course hugely biased, but I am trying to be as objective as I possibly can.

The 2300 does have more watts compared to the 2205, but the 2205 has POWER GAURD! The very thing you are worried about. It also has a much more polished look and finish. Have you asked yourself if this is just a case of boredom with the 2205? I can understand that, I think many of us here can.

Now, back to you original question about clipping prevention. Without PowerGaurd, you're going to have to rely on your ears and common sense, I think. Leave the GAIN at 12:00 as apposed to cranked all the way.

I'm sure there is better information yet to come from other members.

-Mike
 
The 2300 has Power Sentry, and yes it is a protection circuit, but it protects the amplifier and not the speakers, the 2300 is good for a lot more than it's rated 300 watts a channel, most all can make 370 watts and a tip top condition one on a good day can hit 425 watts before clipping. It is a slightly more mellow sound than the 2205, but had a more "punch" sound in the process, I call mine an impact system with the ML2 speakers it is the definition of real bass power.
 
Mc-2300

I own a 2300 and have to say it is very imposing. Like Terry said it is a mellower, softer sound but with the known power to do what you want. It reminds me of a large tube amplifier but with a full balanced sound. I own the newer brother to the 2205, the 2255. I believe I still perfer the 2300 still. You have a very difficult choise to make. The 2300 weighs in at 128 lbs and the only drawback would be the sound of the fans when they kick in but I kind of like the sound when the speakers are quiet.

Good luck with your choise. Both are wonderful amps.
 
McIntosh Mc2205 or McIntosh MC2300

Thanks for your feed backs. These will help decide want I want and I appreciated that.
 
The reason for the switch is that my LS340 has a 375 watts recommendation handling power. I will just give it a shot and see any improvement. I tried bi-wiring my MC2205 with my speakers and it sound much better than using both on a 4 ohms. I connected the 8 ohms to the lower connection and 4 ohms to the higher. I have more separation on details with the vocals and instruments. Anyway, your feed backs is appreciated and thanks.
 
The reason for the switch is that my LS340 has a 375 watts recommendation handling power. I will just give it a shot and see any improvement. I tried bi-wiring my MC2205 with my speakers and it sound much better than using both on a 4 ohms. I connected the 8 ohms to the lower connection and 4 ohms to the higher. I have more separation on details with the vocals and instruments. Anyway, your feed backs is appreciated and thanks.
Dug this out while seeing a recent post with a similar title. Can we bi-wire on the 2205?
 
A bi-wire setup using both the 8 Ohm and 4 Ohm taps will give twice the voltage (gain) to the 8 Ohm taps vs the 4 Ohm taps.

If for some reason your HF section were half the sensitivity of the LF section it would work, otherwise you'll have very hot HF.
 
Back
Top Bottom