• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC2505 & C26 Cost of Rebuild Question

rhender

New Member
Hi all,

My name is Ira. I live in austin, texas. This is a great forum. I am glad to have found it.

I own a MC2505 and a C26 that I bought about a year or so ago. I was using them for a while until I noticed a low hum noise coming from the speakers... at which point I stopped using them.

I took them to the only place I know in town that is familiar with this equipment (Austin Stereo - very nice guys) and I was quoted $500 total to rebuild them both (C26 & MC2505).

Is this a fair quote? And if not... does anyone know of other reliable/cheaper service that could rebuild these around Austin, Texas. Thank you so much, I am really looking forward to being able to use these soon without the noise.

ira
 
Register to hide this ad
Sounds reasonable to me especially considering that you can just drop them off and then pick up. And, if something goes wrong, you can just take them back.

3 hours at $60 for each unit = $360 plus parts = $500.

The alternative would be to ship them to Terry DeWick (the AK resident McIntosh expert) in Knoxville. Ad on the bottom of this page.

Murray
 
Have you tried to isolate the problem? Remove the C26 and connect the source directly to the amp and see if the hum is still there. Do you have access to another amp? That will allow you to test the C26 without going through the 2505.

Vahe
 
Thanks for the replies. Just to be clear it would $500 plus tax for both units to be rebuilt.


And I'm glad to hear that it is a reasonable price.

I have not tried to isolate the problem yet, but I know I should (and I can). Then I could just rebuild one of the units possibly to save money if the hum is only coming from one of the units?

Or is that a bad decision and I should just do them both at the same time?

thanks again!
 
Mike at Austin Stereo is probably the only place around Austin to have any work done. Don't take it to the guy in Dripping Springs who does repair work and sells extensively on ebay. Lots of problems there.

Welcome to AK from Buda!

Alan
 
Hey thanks Alan. That's good to know. I really like Mike at Austin Stereo. He's a really nice guy. I'm glad to hear his price seems fair. I will probably have it in is shop pretty soon for a fix up. Good to be here and have some people to discuss this with!
 
Send it to Terry - remove the glass, knobs, and he'll do it probably for the same price. I know a complete power supply and sonic upgrade on a C26 runs about $250, and Terry went through one of my Mc2505s for around the same price. Pack them up and ship them, and get it done right. Not to say this guy won't, but you minus well have them rebuilt and upgraded AT THE SAME TIME.

And what does a rebuild really mean to these guys? In a way, these are simple machines to me now, but Terry knows the weak spots, plus they will be worth more if he does them. I would have it done right the first time unless you know what rebuild means - and who knows how many they have done. Terry probably has done hundreds of 2505s/250s and C26s. It is worth to ship them without the glass and you will probably be at the same money or less. This is a no brainer, and by no means want to take money out of your local economy, but these units deserve the best.

PS. This is not a paid advertisement and/or a press release for Terry DeWick. Just so you know.
 
Last edited:
I had my C26 sent back to McIntosh where they replaced the caps and cleaned the switches. I think it was about $200 plus shipping. The MC 2505 was quite a bit more expensive. I sent to an authorized service center here in Ohio. They replaced the caps, part #066-106, meter switch #146-109, spk switch # 146-103, along with lamps and other parts. $329 for parts. Labor $213. Also had the glass replaced on both units. Worth the price? Yes.
 
Thank you for the replies guys. I really appreciate it the advice and tips. I will have to think about it now with my different options. Shipping these things does make me nervous I will say.
 
If you do it right, shipping is not a problem. Just remove the knobs, glass and frame. I use 1.5 inch foam from Home Depot, and two boxes, and a board. Also, the key here is never to use UPS.
 
Back
Top Bottom