• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC252 vs MC402 vs MC501

Hi there.. As first to greeting u becouse this is my first post on audikarma. Until now i have read , but never post. I have B&W 803s speakers, McIntosh C2300 Preamp and in this moment Rotel RB-1080 amp.

Im want to upgrade my Rotel to something better. As first i was almost sure that MC501 is the proper choice, and i got them home for few days to listen. I found out that i got deeper and wider soundstage, better focus, tighter mids and highs... One thing that i dont like it.. Bass guitar or some other bass instrument is not detailed.. U can hear that is present, but not details about it.. Also i dont like it that sound too slow somehow, and too rounded.. Also i feel that there is lack of dynamics.. I have a chance to listen my friend sistem with Krell FPB300 and 802D and McIntosh Preamp, and i think there is much more details and dinamics.. I made audition on Mc501 with C220 and b&w 803D, and have the same feeling.. Too slow, and lack of dynamics.. I also tried MA7000 seem that sound is a bit thinner, but faster sounding..

Becouse i can't audution MC402 and MC252 (they have only Mc501 and MA7000), could u please try to explain me what is the difference between MC402 , MC252 and MC501... If I order MC252 or MC402 i have to orded based on reviews, and comparation to MC501 and MA7000 (which i have listen)

In term of Clarity, Details, Soundstage (Depth and Wide), Dynamics...

Also what about slew rate? Which of those tree is faster sounding? Which is slowest?

Is there a big difference? If u dont watch what amp is playing can u recognize which is which?

Im planing in the future to upgrade 803s to 802D.

Becouse of that slowness of McIntosh, started to think about Classe Ca-m400 and Bryston 7SST2 (which again cant listen and eventualy have to order based on reviews)


Greetings

Darko
 
Register to hide this ad
Mc402

I have an MCD301 with a C2200 and MC402 driving B&W802d speakers. First, I really cannot imagine how any of the McIntosh amplifiers could sound flabby or slow at the low end. The only thing I can guess that might explain the bass issue you describe is some problem with the room.

I can say that my system absolutely rocks, and I pound my system. The MC402 is an absolute workhorse that has stunning sound. It never ceases to amaze.

Good luck in setting up something that you like.
 
I have an MCD301 with a C2200 and MC402 driving B&W802d speakers. First, I really cannot imagine how any of the McIntosh amplifiers could sound flabby or slow at the low end. The only thing I can guess that might explain the bass issue you describe is some problem with the room.

I can say that my system absolutely rocks, and I pound my system. The MC402 is an absolute workhorse that has stunning sound. It never ceases to amaze.

Good luck in setting up something that you like.



I tried in different rooms and i have the same feeling.. Lack of dinamics and rounded bass. Anyway, have u compared ur mc402 with mc501? What kind of difference it can be listened between them? At which volume level? Can u describe me the difference? And please do it the same between mc402 and mc252..


thank u

Darko
 
I use my 402 with my rear surround speakers, so I have not compared the 402 against the 501's with the same speakers and processor circuits. I doubt that the amp comparison would make a big diff in bass response. You may want to look into bass speakers and/or cables being used in your system for bass reproduction.
 
Last edited:
Amps are a personal choice. I have a Rotel amp that is a capable performer. However in comparison to the Mcintosh MC501 it lacks sound stage, bass response and is grainy. The room which you are auditioning the gear can have profound effect on bass response. That would be my first thought. The MC252 and MC401 sound very similar. I believe the MC501 are a level above. I upgraded from a MC402 to the 501s. 501 produce a wider sound stage.
 
Hi
I agree, had the same problems regarding poor bass responce in my room, but this wasen't the Mac gear that cause the problem. Now, this is all fixed.
Thanks
 
Hi
It's all about room acoustics. There is alot of reasons that can cause poor bass responce, soft walls, room modes, revereration time and so on. Meaning that it's not only the bass freq that should be fixed, or some portion of the freq spectrum, one have to see to the total freq spectrum.

I have solved my room problems with Helmholtz resonators to tame the low freq and mid-broadband panel diffusers to tame the mid-bass freq and the diffusers take care of the high freq. It's a very complex subject but if you get it right you will take your listening session to another level.

Allways trust your Mcgear.:thmbsp:

Thanks
 
Hi
It's all about room acoustics. There is alot of reasons that can cause poor bass responce, soft walls, room modes, revereration time and so on. Meaning that it's not only the bass freq that should be fixed, or some portion of the freq spectrum, one have to see to the total freq spectrum.

I have solved my room problems with Helmholtz resonators to tame the low freq and mid-broadband panel diffusers to tame the mid-bass freq and the diffusers take care of the high freq. It's a very complex subject but if you get it right you will take your listening session to another level.

Allways trust your Mcgear.:thmbsp:


Seem that i'm ordering two MC501 next week.. I'll let u know when i'll do it :)

Darko
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Seem that i'm ordering two MC501 next week.. I'll let u know when i'll do it :)

Darko

That's what I would do (that's what I did). I think you will notice the channel separation with the 501's, not to mention that the 501's don't weigh as much as the 402 (that monster is a beast).
 
That's what I would do (that's what I did). I think you will notice the channel separation with the 501's, not to mention that the 501's don't weigh as much as the 402 (that monster is a beast).



In term of sound quality.. What is the difference u noticed between MC402 and MC501? A big difference? Or very small ?


Darko
 
I had a 352, a 402, and 501's .......... the 402 is the sweet spot of the three imo.

Most say the 501's blow away the 402 ----- i did not hear that ---- what i heard was the 501's had a tad tighter bass, and the 402 had a tad sweeter midrange and highs. Understand these are very small tad's, and my ears are old now ... :>)

don't know about soundstage and imaging, as my room size was/is a little too small for proper speaker placement to get the best of these qualities.
________________________________________________________________

I am confused ---- if i read correctly, you home auditioned the 501's and thought they lacked detail and were slow. Now you are going to buy them ???

zip
 
I had a 352, a 402, and 501's .......... the 402 is the sweet spot of the three imo.

Most say the 501's blow away the 402 ----- i did not hear that ---- what i heard was the 501's had a tad tighter bass, and the 402 had a tad sweeter midrange and highs. Understand these are very small tad's, and my ears are old now ... :>)

don't know about soundstage and imaging, as my room size was/is a little too small for proper speaker placement to get the best of these qualities.
________________________________________________________________

I am confused ---- if i read correctly, you home auditioned the 501's and thought they lacked detail and were slow. Now you are going to buy them ???

zip

Big difference between 352 and 402?
Just thought about to buy a 352 used or NOS.
 
Olli,
I was not able to a/b ( in my home ) the 352 and 402, as i did the 402 and 501's.

But i would say the 402 and 352 were very close soundwise, with the 402 maybe having a little more detail in the treble, and a little tighter in the bass.

The 352 is very nice, but i would go with the 402, not only for the sound differences, but also for the led lighting in the 402. I would not want to wrestle with the 100# 352 every few years to change out failed bulbs.

zip
 
Back
Top Bottom