• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MC30 - yet anoth question

dubai2000

Active Member
Having recapped my amps and replaced all resistors I now notice a kind of 50/60Hz hum which annoys using my 100+db speakers:scratch2:. So any idea what could be the reason? I am using the amps with an MX110. As I don't have another preamp I cannot tell if it's this particular combination or not.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated - thx.
 
Register to hide this ad
A tough challenge with highly efficient speakers and noise floors on tube amps.

On the humming, how have you set up the filament balance adjustment, Dubai2K? What I would suggest to start by shorting the MC-30 inputs and then adjusting the balance for least hum. Then, you'll be pretty much able to tell what the best case will be with the MC-30s from the hum standpoint. Make sure you leave the MX-110 disconnected from the amps when you do this to eliminate any potential ground loops.

2 things to address the noise floor:

Gain controls to minimize noise: You can lower the input levels at on the MC-30s while running the volume control on the MX-110 a bit higher. This may help the noise floor. Experiment with them to find the best arrangement for your installation.

Pinpointing the noise source(s): You can also use the shorted inputs arrangement to evaluate the first stage tube's noise factor in the MC-30s. Do this by substituting some other 12AX7s in its place with a pretty sensitive voltmeter on the output. Ideally this would be a spectrum analyzer or scope but those are pretty heavy on the pocket book. You can use your ears and those efficient speakers but it is hard to evaluate noise levels without some sort of objective measuring device - your ears really aren't - or at least mine are not! BTW, I do like the 12AX7LPS tubes for their low noise floor and use them in preamps and first stage power amp positions for that reason.

I expect you are also running a 3 pieces of gear through a step-down transformer, correct? If so, after all the above activities, if you still have aren't satisfied with the noise levels, and there's still hum, begin to think outside the boxes and look for ground loops between the devices including the step down transformer.

Hope that helps get things started.

Cheers,

David
 
Does/did the mc30 have a selenium diode in the bias supply that got replaced? Maybe the new diode introduces some hum due to its switching characteristics...a snubber cap over the diode could help, but also potentially couple more noise...
 
After many bias supply updates I have noticed the following, the value of the series resistor must be increased, not all MC30 will use the same value ( 5.1K to 10K). The bias filter should be increased from 10uF to 22uf or more, do not use a fast diode, a 1N4007 works best.
 
Dubai2K, picking up on Terry's suggestions, has the bias been checked according to the technique in the Hints and Kinks thread?

Cheers,

David
 
Yes, but that has to be rechecked as well. I also noticed that in my amps C1 and R2 are missing :tears: - how vital are they? Another puzzle: I found R3 to be 1M instead of 27K...mhhh? BTW: Where exactly is R3 attached to the pot? Can anybody perhaps post a clear pic....:scratch2:

Thx for all the input so far :yes:!
 
Last edited:
R3...27kohms position on pot

When I did my mc30..it was not necessary to add C2 nor R2 since I would not be using the 8 plug input jack. Are you sure C1 is omitted. Here are a few pics of the 27k resistor ( red-violet-orange ) connected to the pot.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_1053.jpg
    IMG_1053.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 32
Thanks for the pics - very (!) helpful.
No, I won't use the 8 plug input either, but isn't C1 also connected to the RCA input?
I should add that my amps had been in the hands of a so-called expert who messed things up quite a bit - which at the time I didn't notice or suspect.
Anyway, the amps are one reason why I decided to start learning how to solder and 'fix' things by myself - though it's still tricky at times.
 
C1 Cap Mc-30

Yes ! C1 cap is connected to the rca input as well the barrier input strip. See pics.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 26
Thanks again for the pics.

I did some reading in the various MC30 rebuild threads and now I hope I figured out how to restore the missing caps and resisors. I'll try to include pics. Do things look alright?
 

Attachments

  • mc30 restore 1 planned.jpg
    mc30 restore 1 planned.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 39
  • mc30 restore 2 planned.jpg
    mc30 restore 2 planned.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 41
Here is what a virgin MC30 looks like.
 

Attachments

  • amp2bot.jpg
    amp2bot.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 55
  • amp2bot2.jpg
    amp2bot2.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 54
Thanks everybody for your support. Both amps are up now and running. The circuit strikes me now as quite original again, ony C1 I have not installed and the resistor next to it (R4?).
What still hasn't changed though is that one amp is quite a bit louder than the other one - regardless of tubes (as far as I can tell). It's not really an issue thanks to the voume pot, but if there is a way to fix this.....
 
Back
Top Bottom