• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McCormack DNA 0.5

vintage 5.0

vintage 5.0
I just got a DNA 0.5. I am using it with a McCormack Passive deluxe line drive. I tell you what this may be the amp for me. I was a tube guy but have put the QuickSilvers on the side for now. The sound of this amp is amazing. I was curious if there were any other McCormack fans out there. I think these are some really awesome built amps. I know they can be modded also and I bet that takes them to a whole new level.
 
Register to hide this ad
I just got a DNA 0.5. I am using it with a McCormack Passive deluxe line drive. I tell you what this may be the amp for me. I was a tube guy but have put the QuickSilvers on the side for now. The sound of this amp is amazing. I was curious if there were any other McCormack fans out there. I think these are some really awesome built amps. I know they can be modded also and I bet that takes them to a whole new level.
I don't own one, but I almost pulled the trigger on one, then an Aragon 4004MKII came up for sale locally and I snagged it. I've heard nothing but great things about the DNA 0.5 though and McCormack products in general, congratulations! Hope you have lots of great listening sessions with it.

Audiofreak71
 
It is cold outside the DNA-1 has been kicked out of the main rig for the tube amps which sound better but then this DNA-1 is the standard sounding McCormack. I've heard a great sounding one and then a Rev whatever that were both a notch better. Still probably don't sound as good a the Luxman tube amps, but it is the best solid state amp in the house and there are a few.
 
Mine is not modded. I really like the way it sounds. It is in mint shape. I like tube amps but man with the passive not sure hard to beat.
 
Yes, it is a generally great sounding amp. I would have liked it more if my brother had bought the one I returned for him to the dealer that he auditioned before buying new in the box. That amp sounded wonderful and I didn't have an adequate preamp at the time. The new amp was clean, clear and powerful and had not sonic problems but it didn't sound the same. It has been Revisioned and sounds better. The one I have now is not revised and is not like that audition amp but very nice nonetheless.
 
I owned an original DNA-1 amp for quite a while. It was a wonderful amp and mated well with a Sonic Frontiers preamp and Vandersteen speakers. It was dynamic without being harsh. Steve McCormack still supports all his amp and I communicated several times for questions and advice. Really nice guy.
 
Oh, and by the way. I got real frustrated with my system in my room a couple of years ago. I sold everything and started from scratch. When I took the SF/McCormack/Vandersteen system into a proper room, they sang.....alas my permanent room is very difficult. I simplified and downsized with a British set up. That is the only reason I sold the gear, including the McCormack amp....
 
McCormack makes some fine amplifiers; IMO, it betters my Aragon in inner detail and finesse (in want of a better phrase). Like Audiofreak71 above, I was going to get one too, but was made an offer I couldn't refuse to purchase a 4004 Mk.II.

Congrats on a nice purchase!
 
in the search for the best bang for buck SS class ab power amp it was hard to ignore the love for McCormack. people tend to like his upgrades as well- they aren't "necessary" mods though
 
people tend to like his upgrades as well- they aren't "necessary" mods though
The original DNA-1 has a main board that isn't quite up to the quality needed and it does have a necessary mod not if but when the problem arises. Swap the board to the newer one and a couple more solder connections and stuff and it is a Rev amp. I think McCormack of VA uses A and B and SMc, in CA used Gold and Silver. But not sure, I'm happy with the amp as it sits. It can be beat to death and not even get hot.
 
I am sure the mods are great. I do think the way it sounds now is really nice. It makes my Sonus Fabers sing. I know it can always sound better but for now I am pretty happy with it.
 
The only McCormack gear I've heard was a friends UDP-1 that had been modded by Steve McCormack. Listened to a number of CD's on it. It sounded superb.
 
I had a few McCormack Amps, the last was a DNA 0 5 Deluxe . certainly a nice piece . I used it with a stack of McCormack Micro components that are still hanging around here. A pair of Musical Fidelity X-a200 mono amps resides where the 0.5 deluxe once lived and have owned that space for quite a while longer than any of the McCormack units mostly based on personal taste in performance with the speakers I use in that system ( Acoustic Energy AE1).

The DNA 0.5 is a really nice amp and I thought it sounded great with SF Minuettos too. a pair of Monarchy Audio Sm70 Pro amps is blissfully driving those Minuettos currently .
 
Hello. Does anyone know where I can service my McCormack DNA 0.5 in NYC ?
It stopped working suddenly.. I bought it around 1998.
 
Hello. Does anyone know where I can service my McCormack DNA 0.5 in NYC ?
It stopped working suddenly.. I bought it around 1998.
Best to fire up your very own thread on this but I would seriously consider having McCormack of VA do the work. They are the Conrad Johnson manufacturer and McCormack manufacturer and know all about these amps. It will be costly as many manufacturers are but it will be 100% correct. And you don't have to ship it across the country. There have to be folks in the NYC area that can work on them if you insist on that. If the schematic is available (Steve is usually pretty good about providing info) a good electronics shop should be able to do the work, but will they have the parts? My DNA-1 needed a new board as the original was of marginal capabilities as was discovered years after the amp was built, oops. Don't know if that is an issue with the 0.5. Maybe give em a call and see.
 
Back
Top Bottom