• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

MCD-201 vs. MVP-861

Jupiter1610

Active Member
Which is the better player on the used market? Use would be about 80% redbook, 10% SACD. Any many sonic differences between the two? My father is looking to add a McIntosh cd player to his MR78 and MA6900 pair. He likes the cosmetics of the MCD201 better, but I feel that the MVP861 represents a better value used. Plus there is a MVP-861 listed locally for $1795, 9/10 condition? Thoughts? Thanks.
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
The short answer to your question is get the MVP861 not the MCD201. The MVP861 also plays multichannel or 2 channel DVD audio, DVD, DIVX, DVDr, DVDrw, CDr, Cdrw, mulitchannel SACD or 2 channel SACD etc. I had to make the same decision last year. I could have purchased either the MCD201 or MVP861 both new old stock. If you buy the MCD201 you risk having problems with the transport ie disk reading and eventually due to reputation issues, difficulty reselling if your DAD decides to upgrade to a MCD500. The MVP861 is the player I initially chose which is to say I was happy with it. In Jan. I had no trouble trading it in toward my MCD500. The MVP861 is a nice player and SACD's sound very good. The reason I traded it in is because I wanted the DAC input for my sonos music server. Having said all this, I would recommend in the $2000 price range skipping both the MVP861 and the MCD201. Buy a DAC such as a benchmark and use a cheap cd player as a transport using the digitial output on the cdp. Buy a sonos music server and play it throught the DAC. The MCD500 is a very nice transport/DAC/Pre amp. if he can swing it, this would be his best bet as he would have the top SACD player that Mcintosh makes. You could plug the MCD500 directly into his amp and sell his pre amp.
 
I've been running my MCD201 for 3 months now and I am liking it everyday. It replaced my Krell SACD2 which I thought was already 'tops' in their level but the 201 bettered it in all sonic values, especially in warmness... some friends thought it was tubed :|

The 201 is the entry-level in the MCD series but its SQ is already 'up there' that it makes me wonder if I'd still need to go the ladder towards the Mac Transport_DAC combo in the future.

I am more into analog but the 201 sounded too close to my Aida (TQ1+XX-2+PH302 system) that one time I thought I was listening to analog :yes: and that surprised me a lot!

I thought I will not need higher resolution digital but listening to a properly implemented SACD system changed my mind. My 201 bettered my Wadia 6i, cayin CD17, the CEC TL51XR, and my Krell SACD2 in redbook & SACD that all my digital purchases now are SACDs.

I know it is easier in your side to get Macs so just give them a try, and if you feel that spending more can get you something better, then by all means do so... but put the 201 in your shortlist and I am sure you will not regret it: you can then use the savings in getting MORE SACD disks!

.e.
 
Which is the better player on the used market? Use would be about 80% redbook, 10% SACD. Any many sonic differences between the two? My father is looking to add a McIntosh cd player to his MR78 and MA6900 pair. He likes the cosmetics of the MCD201 better, but I feel that the MVP861 represents a better value used. Plus there is a MVP-861 listed locally for $1795, 9/10 condition? Thoughts? Thanks.

Please do yourself a favor and do a search on the 201 before you commit any monies. After a good search the best choice will be obvious.

Gordon
 
Back
Top Bottom