• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh 2505 - strange version

tranguru

Active Member
Hi MAC fans,

I have an MC2505 with a circuit setup which quite different form the schematic and the pictures I see on the net.
Serial number seems to be 00355 marked on the side of the chassis - not at the back.
Even some voltages are different.

any idea what kind of version this could be ?

Thanks
Robin
 
Register to hide this ad
Post a picture of the driver boards. The number you posted is not the serial number.

I think there are 5 schematics for the mc2505.
 
Hi

Here are some pictures of the driver boards and the pre amp circuit.

I hope I got the picture insertion right.

Thanks
Robin
 

Attachments

  • P3080324.jpg
    P3080324.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 145
  • P3080325.jpg
    P3080325.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 118
  • P3080326.jpg
    P3080326.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 123
It is an early one....most likely 68-69 vintage.

Some work has obviously been done before.

Are you have a problem?
 
I was just helping a friend recap an MC250 with the same three phenolic circuit boards. The boards were bowed. Quote frankly, it looked cheap. What I would call "sub"-Mcintosh. This was the version with the two TO-66 drivers mounted on the chrome chassis, not on the driver boards.
 
The amp is dead.

I had -40v on the output (before output transformer) on one side and -26v on the other.

One PWR xtor is completely shorted (-26v side - although I would have expected that on the -40v side). the others all look a bit strange.

The amp has a 117V winding only (even thought the diagram on the transformer case shows 2 ==> 220v possible). I suspect that the previous owner plugged it into the 220v supply directly ==> blew the amp.

I also have a voltages on the driver boards and pre amp board which are way off.

Driver board has + 90v supply (on schematic) but I measure +75v (pt 11) - supply for the diff amp.
The real resistor supplying the diff amp has the same value as on the schematic (R34 = 30k)
Pre amp board supply has a similar differences but it works with no saturation so I am going to leave it alone for the moment. this board is supplied by the 2 capacitors you can see on the picture.

So some fixing is still needed ...
any advice?
I intend to use BDT88/87 to replace the drivers and MJ15003 for the Pwr xtors.

TX
Robin
 
Hello Robin

There is many different MC2505 (maybe 5 or 6 versions) and it is really important to have the same service manual to start the job .
Yes , as c_dk said , this is an early version .
1) can you post a picture of the above view without the grill (of course) ?
2) can you send also another sharp picture of the driver board (the one with the both cement resistors) or giving us the pcb number stamped on components side ?
3) are the fuses out ?
4) YES ! MC2505 110v version only does exist !
 
Hi Clinic-Audio,

here are some details:
PCB numbers:
128-042 for driver board
128-037 for pre amp board

I added some more pictures

I am not sure what you mean with fuses out: there only a fuse in the mains supply (110v) which is OK.

Merci for your help!
Robin
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0450.jpg
    IMG_0450.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P3080327.jpg
    P3080327.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 99
Hello Tranguru !

The pcb numbers are usually in 043-xxx
The ref you give are on solder side . I need the numbers "stamped" on components side

I saw that one emiter resistor has been changed and I hope that the value is correct ....

I remember one MC2505 that somebody tried to repair and on one channel there was:
-2 emiter resistor of 0.33 ohm
- 2 emiter resistor of 0,56 ohm on the other one !
- another one with one 0.33 ohm and one 0.56 ohm wich is normal in my point of view with this old MC2505 only !

Waiting for your answer regarding these number
 
Hi Clinic-Audio,

there is driver board:
- a hand written number: 158 + something I cannot read but looks like a 121
- printed : MEG 0104 probabbly the ref of supplier of the board

pre amp board: only handwritten: 111

Resistor are as per the schematic 0.33+0.56
on channel has been repaired: 0.33 + 0.5 (i will change that )

Thanks
Robin
 
Back
Top Bottom