• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh brand awareness. Poll.

How do you feel about your local McIntosh dealer and inventory?

  • My dealer stocks everything I would ever want to audition

    Votes: 31 30.7%
  • My dealer has some gear and some speakers but can do better.

    Votes: 32 31.7%
  • My dealer doesn't stock nearly enough gear or speakers, I can't gear a fair audition.

    Votes: 38 37.6%

  • Total voters
    101

PHC1

Addicted Member
Banned
While I have nothing bad to say from my very limited exposure to McIntosh speakers, I thought the LS360s sounded decent for the price, both of the McIntosh dealers in my immediate area have never stocked anything above LS360s. When I inquired as to why that would be when they do stock other brands at competitive prices and even above, their answer was, "there is no demand and no market for them and we would have a hard time selling them, however, we would be glad to order you anything you want". The few other high end dealers that stock incredible amount of high end gear, will usually just smirk and shake their heads in disapproval when McIntosh speakers are mentioned.

And so it goes, you ask about McIntosh speakers on other high end forums and out of 30 to 50 replies you get, maybe 1 will say something positive about them.

This prejudice against McIntosh is hard to overcome when people never have an opportunity to audition them for themselves and have to rely on opinions of an overwhelming "negative" majority out there. With the XRT1s for example, costing a whopping $35k, there would be very few people willing to commit to them unless of course they audition them in person and trust their own ears and stand their ground instead of being overcome by the inevitable negative comments should they ask opinions of others on most of the forums and start doubting their own ears. After all, the majority can't be wrong....

McIntosh gear falls much into the same "audiophile bad rap category", had it not been for the positive reviews in the recent years from the major mags out there and dedicated fan forums such as this one with the positive opinions and experiences spilling out into others, although still an uphill battle, I don't believe McIntosh would have the sales numbers it has been enjoying recently.

McIntosh needs to work with their dealers. There needs to be more exposure of McIntosh products to the audiophile community. If the dealers are hesitant to commit to stocking the upper end of McIntosh, McIntosh needs to "step up" and have if not a dedicated demo gear program with so many units dedicated to dealer demos then at least a "revolving demo inventory" that can be left on display at dealers for some time to get people to come in and listen for themselves and then moved to other dealers so they can do the same. Dealers also need to increase brand awareness if they are to increase their sales. Taking down info from potential customers such as address and/or a phone number and inviting those customers to come listen to the new products when they arrive does not take much of an effort but a post card or a simple call. I've been invited numerous times by the high end dealers in the area to come audition many different gear but I have never gotten any invitation from my McIntosh dealers, moreover, my McIntosh dealers are not even aware of the new McIntosh products themselves! A question about an MT10, XRT1s and MC2301s was met with raised eyebrows and a blank stare from both of my local McIntosh dealers. I had to order the MDA1000 and bought the MCD1000 sight unseen and unheard, relying on the satisfaction of the many members of this forum. My dealer said that was the first MDA1000 he has seen or sold and to call him and let him know what I thought. I don't live out in the boonies either. This is just sad.

How do you feel about this: Does your dealer stock adequate amount of McIntosh gear? Do they stock adequate variety of McIntosh speakers? Do they have a dedicated room where they can set up and let you audition McIntosh gear with McIntosh speakers and do them justice and a fair audition? Do you feel they can do better?
 
Register to hide this ad
Agreed!

Not only stocking , but Promoting. The MAC stuff is usually way off 'in the back' in a small room with no signs, displays or anything else. Everyone is herded toward the 10,000.00 televisions or BOSE stuff.
 
My dealer had a complete dream system, sold the speakers and amps to one guy, c1000 to another. has re ordered the amps but not the speakers. I do not know if he is replacing the c1000. Oh he does not have the turntable either!

He can do better but having demo's of everything on the floor would cost a fortune.

I have been to a few other Mac dealers in the last couple of days looking for a c2200 new or demo(my dealer has sold everything out) it has been very eye opening experience. All I can say is that if I were not already a mac lover/owner I would blow these guys off! they do not have much to demo and nothing in stock but they will sell you at list and order one for you! It will be a cold day in hell before I ever participate in that business model!

Man do I appreciate my dealer:thmbsp:

Robert
 
Well, let's do the math.......

Dealer cost on the big speakers isn't going to be small. As a dealer, why would I tie that much cash up in a set of speakers alone, when I could turn that money over a few more times?

Ok, what if the dealer floorplanned (financed) the demo speakers? Let's see, he's paying the finance company for a set of speakers that may well sit for quite some time before they're turned over to a paying customer. Yep, it will definitely improve the Wow factor in the store, but at what cost?

Then there's the space issue. Those high end speakers are, indeed, quite large. That's ok except for high end dealers in upscale markets like New York or San Francisco. Still, I'd be considering what allocation of space (read: $$ in rent/lease) they would require.

I don't know how much direct participation Mac has in this as this would normally be closely held data - such as dealer incentives, financing, or even advertising co-operation programs, etc.

I can fully understand the difficulty for dealers but that doesn't really address how to solve the problem.

Cheers,

David
 
My premier dealer does appear to stock every gear from McIntosh except their premium line such as MDA/MCD1000, C1000 or 2K/1K speakers. They are expanding the showroom, so maybe I'll see some premium products afterwards. (I wouldn't want to spend so much cash without auditioning them first)
 
the Harvey's in Greenvale is pretty lame when it comes to the Mc name a few pieces at best, couldn't hear a 2102 'cause it was boxed up in storage.

I go elsewhere for anything Mc
 
The few other high end dealers that stock incredible amount of high end gear, will usually just smirk and shake their heads in disapproval when McIntosh speakers are mentioned.

And so it goes, you ask about McIntosh speakers on other high end forums and out of 30 to 50 replies you get, maybe 1 will say something positive about them.

McIntosh gear falls much into the same "audiophile bad rap category", had it not been for the positive reviews in the recent years from the major mags out there and dedicated fan forums such as this one with the positive opinions and experiences spilling out into others, although still an uphill battle, I don't believe McIntosh would have the sales numbers it has been enjoying recently.

Its strange, even my Mc dealers which stock everything Mc makes except, as far as I know, the MS servers and the cheaper speakers disapprove of Mc speakers. :sigh:It's no wonder they don't sell many!

Even more hilarious is the "bad rap" Serge talks about. Mc vintage gear is well respected and even their mid-price items are in demand (e.g. C2200) but when you get into MCD/MDA, C1000 territory there is almost an unspoken 'backlash' againt Mc goods, insofar as they are not considered to be serious pieces! :dunno:

howie
 
I'm lucky to be 90 minutes away from a premier dealer. Lucky to have 90 minutes to "think real hard" about buying something. And they have the full line of Sonus Faber. Those are some long drives home though.......:D
 
I'm lucky to be 90 minutes away from a premier dealer. Lucky to have 90 minutes to "think real hard" about buying something. And they have the full line of Sonus Faber. Those are some long drives home though.......:D

Maybe you need to move closer. :D
 
Actually, selling more (at work) would solve more problems than moving closer. I think its time for a full blown marketing campaign. I want some XRT1Ks!!!:banana:
 
It is a good thing that there are quite a few dealers in the area, so that I have a choice, as there is one in particular that I will gladly tell anyone to completely steer clear from. :puke:

Complete and utter idiots that should have their resell license taken away from them as they tarnish the McBrand!

The sales guy pointed to a cd player and said, that it was a fine 5 channel amp! That same sales person said he was too lazy to switch a cable for a potential customer. He also mentioned that he was too tired and disinterested in listening to customers. He also had the great ability to insult a potential customer's wife as well as every other woman in the world in front of them both. I could continue, but you get the idea.

Yes, I know it is unbelievable, but it happened.
 
It is a good thing that there are quite a few dealers in the area, so that I have a choice, as there is one in particular that I will gladly tell anyone to completely steer clear from. :puke:

This is good to know, but you didn't give us their name.
 
The local dealer did have 2 x 275's, c220 and a 205 along with 501's and a 402. The 402 was used for surround sound. He did have an 871 too. The one down in San Antonio had quite a bit more. Even had Mcintosh Speakers. That's half of the reason I went to RMAF was to see all of this magic stuff, and hear with my own set of ears. Got to finally hear all the stuff I usually read about.
 
It is a good thing that there are quite a few dealers in the area, so that I have a choice, as there is one in particular that I will gladly tell anyone to completely steer clear from. :puke:

Complete and utter idiots that should have their resell license taken away from them as they tarnish the McBrand!

The sales guy pointed to a cd player and said, that it was a fine 5 channel amp! That same sales person said he was too lazy to switch a cable for a potential customer. He also mentioned that he was too tired and disinterested in listening to customers. He also had the great ability to insult a potential customer's wife as well as every other woman in the world in front of them both. I could continue, but you get the idea.

Yes, I know it is unbelievable, but it happened.

Perhaps it was just this one salesperson. Maybe you should let the owner know about this. I have had some bad salespeople work for me, but they never last long.
 
my dealer does pretty well I guess. Just no Mcintosh speakers, but I believe those are more for the american market, just like their car audio.

for the rest, he owns almost the entire Avalon gamma, also has much Accuphase, quite some Audio Physics, enough Mcintosh, enough B&W, some Wilsons, A shitload of Martin Logan and much much more. I love that dealer :D

Keep them spinning,
Bert.
 
Maybe it is time...

Maybe it is time that McIntosh stop requiring buyers to purchase only 'over the counter' from the local dealer. In many cases all the local dealer does is serve as an 'order taker'. The dealer in my city doesn't even have an in-house repair facility, contracts out with a local 'general purpose' shop that has a very poor reputation for service quality, etc. The shop works on everything from TVs to portable radios.
 
Back
Top Bottom