• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh C2200 vs C2300

siqbal

New Member
I am currently running a Mcintosh C2200 preamplifier (now discontinued) and have recently been afforded the opportunity to upgrade to the C2300. Not being in a position to audition the C2300 beforehand I'd be very grateful for input as to whether this would be a worthwhile change. Please note I'm only interested in the C2300's performance as a preamp as I'll be using a stand-alone phono stage.
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't speak to a direct comparison to the 2200, but I really like my 2300. I've owned it for about 20 months and it just does everything it is supposed to do, without adding a noticeable sonic signature of its own.

If you do a search on this forum, especially from when it first came out in late 2007, you will find a lot of useful information including comparisons to the 2200.

One of the real strengths of the 2300 is the built in MC phono stage. I think this is the same as that in the 500 and maybe the 1000. Upgrade the tubes in both the line stage and phono stage (I'm using Telefunkens) and you will be surprised how good this preamp is. In direct comparisons in my system, it was better than the three extermal phono stages that I had on hand including a Dynavector P75 Mk11, Rogue Stealth, and Blue Circle. The fact that you can change loading with the remote control is a big plus.

If you got the 2300, I would encourage you to put some better tubes in it and then compare it with your external phono stage. You may end up selling your other phono stage, pocketing some cash, and eliminating another piece of gear, interconnect, power cord, etc.

Good luck!

Dave
 
I too owned the C2200, with first a Sutherland PHD Phono pre amp, then a Manley Steelhead. Well, the C2300 phono section was better in all respects! I have a Basis signature vaccum table, Graham phantom tonearm,Dynavector XV1S. Wgat phono preamp are you using?? Yes, I sold my phono preamps, but I also use a Tron seven reference phono pre. The C2300 is REAL close with stock tubes!! ( I use Telefunkens in my Tron). Get the C2300 it will NOT dissapoint. Forgot to mention it has remote adj. loading to boot!!:thmbsp:
 
I too owned the C2200, with first a Sutherland PHD Phono pre amp, then a Manley Steelhead. Well, the C2300 phono section was better in all respects! I have a Basis signature vaccum table, Graham phantom tonearm,Dynavector XV1S. Wgat phono preamp are you using?? Yes, I sold my phono preamps, but I also use a Tron seven reference phono pre. The C2300 is REAL close with stock tubes!! ( I use Telefunkens in my Tron). Get the C2300 it will NOT dissapoint. Forgot to mention it has remote adj. loading to boot!!:thmbsp:


WOW. Now that is a ringing endorsement for the phonostage capabilities of the wonderful C2300. I am also very happy with all aspects of the 2300 now 15 months in. I am very happy with the MM phonostage. It bested my Simaudio MOON LP5.3 outboard phono and by a considerable margin.

Listen to the good Dr., Just Do It!!
 
Much obliged for the input. I have to say I didn't quite expect so much support for the C2300's phono stage(s). Anyway, I'm currently using a Graham Slee Era Gold V and it is much better than the MM stage in the C2200. The analog front end is a Nottingham Analog Ace Space turntable, Origin Live Encounter tonearm and a Dynavector 20Xh cartridge. Digital is a Sonos/NAS combo into a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. Amplification is a Classe CA-2200 driving Paradigm Signature S8s. Cables are Chord Co. Anthem 2 interconnects and Epic Super Twin speaker cable.
 
listening now to my 2300 phono now and it sounds wonderful -- shelter 501 into a step up transformer into the mm section of the 2300.
 
Question about tube-rolling, I have a 2300 and wonder which tubes I should try? I maybe able to get a pair of Black Sable Raytheon 12AX7 Black Plate, any tried them or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 
I too owned the C2200, with first a Sutherland PHD Phono pre amp, then a Manley Steelhead. Well, the C2300 phono section was better in all respects!

So you like the 2300 better than the 2200 with the Steelhead?
 
Much obliged for the input. I have to say I didn't quite expect so much support for the C2300's phono stage(s). Anyway, I'm currently using a Graham Slee Era Gold V and it is much better than the MM stage in the C2200. The analog front end is a Nottingham Analog Ace Space turntable, Origin Live Encounter tonearm and a Dynavector 20Xh cartridge. Digital is a Sonos/NAS combo into a PS Audio Digital Link III DAC. Amplification is a Classe CA-2200 driving Paradigm Signature S8s. Cables are Chord Co. Anthem 2 interconnects and Epic Super Twin speaker cable.

I don't have a C2300 but a C220 and owned a Graham Slee Era Gold Reflex which is better than the Era Gold V.
Compared with the MM-input of the C220 the Reflex was not bad but with the C220 everything got better more luscious, more air and soundstage etc. even with the stock tubes.
The Reflex sounded more edgy and harsh in comparison - so it was sold.
Because I don't need phono-MC and meters I decided for the C220 and not C2300.
For me they were a little different for taste but none was superior.
If your C2200 is better then your Era Gold you will be frightened how much much better the sound gets with a C2300.
 
So you like the 2300 better than the 2200 with the Steelhead?

The phono stage in the 2300 is a lot better than the Steelhead. c2300 plays music, Steelhead plays hifi.

The c2300 is light years ahead of the c2200 - go for it.

cheers
 
tjnif -- regarding the Tron 7

How would you compare the C2300 MC phono stage versus your stand alone Tron 7? I know that Jeff Catalano is a big fan of the Tron and I have been considering it. I got my Raven, Graham and Dynavector from Jeff, as well as a bunch of WSS wires and cables, and he has never steered me wrong.

How would you compare the two?

Thanks,

Dave
 
siqbal,
I was in your position and made the switch. Some would say the C2300 is a great phono stage that happens to come with a very nice control section. I'm in that camp. I was able to make the C2200 to C2300 switch and sell my outboard phono pre, which was no slouch. Made the change almost cash neutral. And you get armchair cartridge loading and tone controls to boot. Very sweet. There has been some discussion around the overal sound of the C2200 vs. C2300. Do a search, you'll find the threads.
 
Back
Top Bottom