• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh DS200 Roon Ready Streaming DAC

ACRucrazy

Active Member
Looks like McIntosh has released their first Roon Ready streamer designed to be integrated with your existing system or used as a standalone DAC/preamplifier with volume control in an all digital system.

$4,000 USD

 
Register to hide this ad
Looks like the successor to the D100 & D150 all-digital pre-amp models. Neither of those have streaming capability so I have a BlueSound Node feeding my D100.

I wonder what DAC chipset they use in this new model.
 
I wonder what DAC chipset they use in this new model.
They never specify the DACs on new products. It's most likely a quad balanced ESS DAC similar to the ones used in their current preamps and CD players.
 
Last edited:
It's more like an MDA200 with added streaming but without the ability to upgrade the DAC module like you can on the MDA200. I say that because the specs for the two are the same. One thing that surprised me is that the retail price for the DS200 is also exactly the same as the MDA200.
 
So for $4k you have your choice of MDA200 or this new DS200. The DS200 adds bluetooth and wifi as well as an additional AES/EBU XLR input, rather than the DA2 module. That AES/EBU input is a little interesting, I do not believe this has been seen on previous digital devices?

As far as streaming goes, it's not very full-featured because it just accepts 'casts' from your phone along with Tidal and Spotify. No other streaming services apparently.
 
That AES/EBU input is a little interesting, I do not believe this has been seen on previous digital devices?

That type of connection has been used in digital components although it seems to have fallen out of favor.

I've owned two DACs with that connection, a Musical Fidelity M1 DAC and a Yulong D18 Sabre.
 
I don't fully understand the concept. Is is just because the unit doesn't require some 3rd party app to act as a bridge between phone and streamer?
 
It being Roon Ready is the big part. Natively use Tidal or Qobuz through Roon. No need to cast.

Anyone spending $4,000 on any streamer (not just McIntosh) and not using Roon is crazy to me.

Anyone wanting serious digital only system could get this as your streamer / digital only preamp, an amp or monos of your choice and you’re done.

You could even hook up your TV via ARC and call it a day.
 
That type of connection has been used in digital components although it seems to have fallen out of favor.
Yes although I don't recall it being present on previous Mac products? Makes me wonder if something is cooking WRT the Mac digital interface, possible DA3 on the horizon?

It being Roon Ready is the big part. Natively use Tidal or Qobuz through Roon. No need to cast.
You are right, Roon is a big deal for those who use it. I always forget about it because I have never been a user. I suppose that would allow you to interface to other streaming services.

Personally I am satisfied with my Wiim streamer; bit-perfect streaming transport which is inexpensive, easy to use and I can add others elsewhere in the house then use the same app to control any of them. But I can see how this product would be attractive to Roon users or to someone considering the MDA200 who also wanted bluetooth / casting.
 
Anyone spending $4,000 on any streamer (not just McIntosh) and not using Roon is crazy to me.
As long as you have your own digital music library, Roon is useful. Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money. A large segment of people who stream doesn't do that but still want a high-quality streamer. I think that there are better options out there in that price category.
 
I am a McIntosh fan but their streaming efforts haven't ever seemed to quite hit the mark. Plus I am just reluctant to spend very much on streaming, which seems more prone to obsolescence than amps, preamps, etc. TBH if I was looking to keep the McIntosh aesthetic for streaming, I would buy one of those light boxes and hide a Wiim or a Bluesound or a Sonos port inside.
 
I love Macintosh amps, but their digital stuff only has bling value to me. Had the MDA200 dac fed by a Wiim Pro streamer, but the dac wasn't any better than the Emotiva XDA-3 dac I had before for a fraction of the price.
So I sold it and consolidate to a Cambridge EXN100, day and night improvement.
If you must have the look that's ok, but don't limit yourself performance wise.
 
Yes although I don't recall it being present on previous Mac products? Makes me wonder if something is cooking WRT the Mac digital interface, possible DA3 on the horizon?

If that is the case, adding an AES/EBU at this late date feels like a 10 Year Step Back in technology.
 
As long as you have your own digital music library, Roon is useful. Otherwise, it's a waste of time and money. A large segment of people who stream doesn't do that but still want a high-quality streamer. I think that there are better options out there in that price category.
I disagree, even if you don’t have a digital library and stream via Tidal or Qobuz, Roon is the best experience there is. It’s the most comprehensive and informative music management experience there is. On top of that, the interface is exactly the same no matter your streamer, be it Sonos, Heos, Bluesound, McIntosh, Mark Levinson etc etc etc etc. On top of all that you can group Roon Ready devices together that are made by different manufacturers. Additionally Roon offers its own filters, time delays, etc that you can completely customize to your liking if you choose.

If you have a digital library it’s the icing on the cake tying it all together.

Spending $4,000 on a streamer (or more in some other instances) and not using Roon is crazy to me.

Buy a cheap NUC, used Mac mini or new Roon Core for $100-$500 as a server, spend $830 on a lifetime subscription and actually enjoy streaming or digital music.

Roon is easily the best investment I made, starting with a used 2012 Mac Mini for $20 and a lifetime subscription for $600 when I bought.

It’s been 5 years now and I haven’t had to pay for anything further to use Roon.

Couldn’t imagine coughing up thousands for a streamer and not using it.

Now a $500 streamer, sure I get the lopsidedness of Roon to streamer ratio.
 
I am a McIntosh fan but their streaming efforts haven't ever seemed to quite hit the mark. Plus I am just reluctant to spend very much on streaming, which seems more prone to obsolescence than amps, preamps, etc. TBH if I was looking to keep the McIntosh aesthetic for streaming, I would buy one of those light boxes and hide a Wiim or a Bluesound or a Sonos port inside.
I did that with my LB100 years ago. It was the sole purpose of the purchase, day 1 I put my Sonos connect & Bluesound node inside. My dealer sent my pic to McIntosh.. a year or two later the LB200 was released..
 
If that is the case, adding an AES/EBU at this late date feels like a 10 Year Step Back in technology.
McIntosh top DACS have had AES.
MDA1000
D1100
MCD12000

AES is better than optical or coax, it’s a balanced connection just few devices uses it, save for high end products or studio use. Having it is a positive, not a step back. Your entry level products won’t have it.
 
I've never had a Roon device and never needed one. I'm a Tidal user - so at my desk, that's via USB into a D150. In my big system, that's from my iPad > mConnect > Oppo UDP-205 > C200.

Most Smart TVs support all of the streaming services. Say you connected your Smart TV to a D100, D150, C49, etc via TosLink.

So, why is the DS200 superior to a Smart TV? I'm trying to understand as I currenty have a need for a single streaming device that would permit its output to be shared with other zones via a pre-existing network (all hardwired).
 
Can’t speak for the DS200 specifically, but in general a dedicated streamer vs smart TV has the advantage of not requiring the TV to be on. Or if it is on, you could have the ball game or something on while listening to music (I do this often). Also I don’t know whether the smart TV output would be delivering the full resolution stream.

Not to knock the smart TV idea mind you, it’s a viable option for sure. But there are some advantages to a dedicated streamer. On the other hand the TV has a big display for track info and album art etc so that could be cool I imagine.
 
I've never had a Roon device and never needed one. I'm a Tidal user - so at my desk, that's via USB into a D150. In my big system, that's from my iPad > mConnect > Oppo UDP-205 > C200.

Most Smart TVs support all of the streaming services. Say you connected your Smart TV to a D100, D150, C49, etc via TosLink.

So, why is the DS200 superior to a Smart TV? I'm trying to understand as I currenty have a need for a single streaming device that would permit its output to be shared with other zones via a pre-existing network (all hardwired).
Your Oppo 205 is Roon Ready, meaning Roon will recognize it and you can use Roon on your Oppo.
You would sign into your Tidal account in Roon, then you can play Tidal, or any music you may have on your network on your 205.


Roon even recognizes some smart TVs, I know it found my old Sony.

Streaming Tidal on any device you may have with Roon instead offers better quality than without.

A new Roon Core is $500 on up.
A lifetime subscription is $830.
$1,330, at the level of several thousand dollars streaming devices, IMO Roon is a necessity to anyone serious about digital music.

A good read.


“Look out for 'Roon Ready' certification on your playback devices. This is the guarantee that they will support Roon's hi-res streaming RAAT technology. Roon will discover Roon Ready devices without a problem and automatically deliver the highest possible audio quality to them.


Roon has become seemingly ever-present on the spec sheets of streaming-savvy hi-fi kit. It claims it is compatible with over 1000 devices from nearly 200 audio brands, including – deep breath – Arcam, Audiolab, Astell & Kern, Bluesound, B&W, Cambridge Audio, Chord Electronics, Cyrus, dCS, Devialet, Denon, Elac, JBL, KEF, Linn, Marantz, McIntosh, Mark Levinson, Meridian, Moon, NAD, Naim, Onyko, Oppo, Pioneer, Pro-Ject, TEAC and more. Essentially, Roon support has become as prevalent in product specifications as AirPlay and Bluetooth.”

 
Last edited:
I disagree, even if you don’t have a digital library and stream via Tidal or Qobuz, Roon is the best experience there is. It’s the most comprehensive and informative music management experience there is. On top of that, the interface is exactly the same no matter your streamer, be it Sonos, Heos, Bluesound, McIntosh, Mark Levinson etc etc etc etc. On top of all that you can group Roon Ready devices together that are made by different manufacturers. Additionally Roon offers its own filters, time delays, etc that you can completely customize to your liking if you choose.

If you have a digital library it’s the icing on the cake tying it all together.

Spending $4,000 on a streamer (or more in some other instances) and not using Roon is crazy to me.

Buy a cheap NUC, used Mac mini or new Roon Core for $100-$500 as a server, spend $830 on a lifetime subscription and actually enjoy streaming or digital music.

Roon is easily the best investment I made, starting with a used 2012 Mac Mini for $20 and a lifetime subscription for $600 when I bought.

It’s been 5 years now and I haven’t had to pay for anything further to use Roon.

Couldn’t imagine coughing up thousands for a streamer and not using it.

Now a $500 streamer, sure I get the lopsidedness of Roon to streamer ratio.
Some people value it and some don't, like me. I'd rather pay more for sound quality and place little value on the interface. They're all intuitive and user friendly enough to stream from the services. Roon has a little more album and artist info readily available, but I usually don't like to tinker and read while I'm listening. In my opinion, since there is no specific control app required with the DS200, Roon should be free for a year when purchasing this class of streamer.
 
Back
Top Bottom