• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Laboratory Chooses ESS's Sabre Reference Audio D/A Converter for Its New MCD

JimBob

Active Member
FREMONT, Calif., Aug. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- ESS Technology, a leading provider of high performance audio/video solutions, today announced that its Sabre Reference eight-channel audio D/A converter (ES9008) is incorporated in the new McIntosh Laboratory MCD500 SACD/CD Player (MSRP: $6500), scheduled for availability this month.

The MCD500, housed with a rigid aluminum die-cast mechanism base with aluminum die-cast tray, is a two-channel SACD/CD player supporting SACD, hybrid SACD, CD, CD-R and CR-RW disc playback. Both balanced and unbalanced outputs with fixed or variable volume are provided, together with a low-impendence headphone output. The MCD500 can also be used as standalone D/A converter thought its coaxial or optical digital audio input.

The MCD500's analog stereo output will surpass the expectations of the most demanding audio enthusiasts with its wide dynamic range, extremely low distortion, exceptionally wide sound stage and jitter-free music clarity offered by the ESS Sabre Reference 8-channel D/A converter in Stereo Quad Balanced mode. With patented multi-bit Hyperstream(TM) modulator with Revolver Dynamic Matching and time-domain Jitter Eliminator, the ESS Sabre Reference has become the new standard for true studio-quality audio D/A conversion through its unprecedented dynamic range of up to 134dB and ultra low distortion of -118dB.

The Sabre Reference supports SPDIF stereo and multi-channel digital audio in PCM or DSD formats, featuring click-free soft mute and volume control, de-emphasis, zero detect, programmable roll-off filter characteristics and can be configured to output mono, stereo, 4- or 8-channel audio in current or voltage modes for performance optimization.

Ron Evans, VP of Engineering for McIntosh Laboratory, said, "The MCD500 was designed to meet the demands of the most discriminating audiophiles. The ESS Sabre Reference D/A converter enables MC500 to reproduce CD and SACD music with extreme precision and elegance. The sound is truly exceptional."

Robert Wong, vice-president of marketing and worldwide sales for ESS Technology, said, "We are excited that McIntosh has selected the Sabre Reference for its new flagship SACD/CD player. Through our patented groundbreaking technologies, the Sabre Reference has become the industry's benchmark for audio D/A converters offering studio-quality jitter free performance with unprecedented richness and clarity for every serious music enthusiast."

About ESS Technology

ESS Technology, Inc. designs and markets high-performance audio/video products for the consumer market.

ESS's Vista(TM) product line features high-definition solutions such as the Phoenix and Phoenix-II series of HD-Enhanced DVD processors, 1080p video up-converters, HDMI transmitters, the Sabre series of Hyperstream(TM) audio digital-to-analog converters and other products for digital television.

ESS's Sabre Hyperstream(TM) audio digital-to-analog converter series, consisting of Sabre Reference and Sabre Premier, is the world's first 8- channel audio DAC solution to bring true professional digital audio to the mass consumer home entertainment market. The Sabre series has already been designed into the world's most prestigious audiophile equipments for 2008 shipment, including Blu-ray players, CD/SACD players, and A/V preamps.

ESS, a wholly owned subsidiary of Imperium Partners LLC, is headquartered in Fremont, California, and has R&D, sales, and technical support offices worldwide. ESS Technology's web site address is: .

About McIntosh Laboratory

In an era where the rate of change is as amazing as the changes themselves, McIntosh is all the more remarkable. For almost 60 years, the McIntosh brand continues to represent high performance, superlative engineering and limitless pride of ownership. State-of-the-art technology infused with hand craftsmanship and the details McIntosh is famous for continue to be the key values found in every piece of equipment. Products built to last for decades of flawless performance demand nothing less than an equal level of commitment to customer support and service as well. It's no wonder satisfied customers the world over view their McIntosh products as investments worthy of being passed down through generations. McIntosh Laboratory, Inc. is a D&M Holdings company.

http://www.itnewsonline.com/showprnstory.php?storyid=8646
 
Register to hide this ad
The Sabre Reference supports SPDIF stereo and multi-channel digital audio in PCM or DSD formats

Does that mean we may see a multi-channel version sometime??? I would guess not and that Mc will see to that in the Blu-Ray version. :scratch2:
 
I have no idea as to what Sammy uses in their BR players.

The ESS DAC as implemented in the MCD500, as a quad balanced DAC, 4 DACs per channel, yields the best single box performance we have ever measured. Extremely low noise and distortion without jitter on both the internal tray and two external digital inputs is realized. The circuit design that Ted came up using the ESS DAC requires a lot of finesse and care for optimum performance though.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
I dont keep up with this stuff so I have no idea why you would need 8 channels on a DAC, or why a player needs 4 DAC's per channel, I just imagine it will sound real nice. :thmbsp:

But what other high end CD player manufacturers have chosen the Ess sabre DAC?
 
None. The MCD500 is the first to use this chip which is not unusual. Many companies have had their transistors or chip sets introduced in a McIntosh product.

thanks,
Ron-C
 
Thanks for the information, JimBob and JDandy. So much for my theory that the MCD500 uses the same DAC as the MCD301 in multiples. Its good to know for sure that its DACS are all new and it certainly adds to its appeal! I am amazed how quickly information is unearthed around here. Can't wait for the MCD500 to arrive, and will enjoy reading more about it, now that you guys have found all this press.
 
Ron, how is the volume control in MCD500 implemented? Is it DAC based DSP processing or pure analog preamp ?

Thanks
 
Thanks for the information, JimBob and JDandy. So much for my theory that the MCD500 uses the same DAC as the MCD301 in multiples. Its good to know for sure that its DACS are all new and it certainly adds to its appeal! I am amazed how quickly information is unearthed around here. Can't wait for the MCD500 to arrive, and will enjoy reading more about it, now that you guys have found all this press.

My sentiments; exactly what I was going to say. :yes: The MCD500 is looking more and more desirable everyday. Can't wait for some of the first reviews.
 
You've seen the picture.........devil on one shoulder, angel on the other. The devil is telling me to order an MC500 this morning, do it, do it now, you know you want it, just do it. The angel on the other shoulder is saying, hey, you just bought a brand new 301, enjoy it, it's great, sit back and relax, wait for the reviews, it's not a race, stay calm.

I'm trying to remain calm, I really am, but that damn devil keeps making me look at the check book.

Man, I'm in trouble.
 

Vintage Tube, I too like the confidential advanced information sheet, but that technical details paper you located is really good. Do you know if anyone ever found out which DAC is used in the MCD301?
 
You've seen the picture.........devil on one shoulder, angel on the other. The devil is telling me to order an MC500 this morning, do it, do it now, you know you want it, just do it. The angel on the other shoulder is saying, hey, you just bought a brand new 301, enjoy it, it's great, sit back and relax, wait for the reviews, it's not a race, stay calm.

I'm trying to remain calm, I really am, but that damn devil keeps making me look at the check book.

Man, I'm in trouble.

"Hi everybody, my name is Dan, and I havent bought any mac gear in 2 months..." "Hi Dan"
 
I like the CONFIDENTIAL Advance Information sheet:scratch2:

Thanks, Bob, for the link to the Technical Sheet on the Sabre DAC. I'm no engineer, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. I still could barely understand half of what was written. It was interesting, though. Seems like the ESS engineering team has hit a home run with this eight DAC board.
 
You've seen the picture.........devil on one shoulder, angel on the other. The devil is telling me to order an MC500 this morning, do it, do it now, you know you want it, just do it. The angel on the other shoulder is saying, hey, you just bought a brand new 301, enjoy it, it's great, sit back and relax, wait for the reviews, it's not a race, stay calm.

I'm trying to remain calm, I really am, but that damn devil keeps making me look at the check book.

Man, I'm in trouble.

The MCD301 is a new model, so we all are in the same boat - mine is about 3months old. My local dealer will trade mine in, if I decide I want to purchase the MCD500, which is already looking more and more likely, and that will save me the trouble of selling it on Audiogon, at a cost, of course. I find the DAC inputs appealing, because it will allow me to add the MS750 I've been wanting.
 
"Hi everybody, my name is Dan, and I havent bought any mac gear in 2 months..." "Hi Dan"

I know. I missed the damn MA meeting last night. I've got the shakes this morning. What's a poor Mac addict suppose to do? :worried:
 
Vintage Tube, I too like the confidential advanced information sheet, but that technical details paper you located is really good. Do you know if anyone ever found out which DAC is used in the MCD301?

Ron-C would know (but is he telling???). Not using the DAC chip in the MCD500 (based on Ron's previous comment awhile ago that this DAC chip is a brand new breed & no one else was using it -- yet).
 
The devil is telling me to order an MC500 this morning, do it, do it now, you know you want it, just do it.
Man, I'm in trouble.


Well, looks like I missed the boat -- had mine on order for awhile & nothing yet. Apparently they are awaiting parts inorder to resume a production run & looks like that won't happen until early/mid September.

I'm in no hurry -- but wish I had a date.
 
Back
Top Bottom