• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh MC2205 vs 2 bridged MC250

Dony

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
How much difference in sound quality is there between a MC2205 versus a pair of bridged MC250 connected to a pair of Klipsch LaScala Industrial splits?

Is the difference worth the extra cost, or is it simply an appearance difference with the glass face on the MC2205?

I already have a MC250 which has been serviced and re-capped, so I'm trying to decide whether I should sell my MC250 to pay extra to purchase a local MC2205 or should I just purchase another MC250 and bridge mono the pair?
 
Register to hide this ad
I can't speak to the sound difference, but the 2205 has power guard and 200 watts per channel. I assume you can get 100 watts out of two 250s, so you're at half the power with no power guard with the 250s. I doubt you'll need that much power for the Klipsches, but hopefully someone with actual experience with them will chime in.
 
I can't speak to the sound difference, but the 2205 has power guard and 200 watts per channel. I assume you can get 100 watts out of two 250s, so you're at half the power with no power guard with the 250s. I doubt you'll need that much power for the Klipsches, but hopefully someone with actual experience with them will chime in.
Thanks for your reply lbcgav, you are correct that if I run the two MC250 bridged I will get 100 WPC which is about half of the 200 WPC of the 2205.

However, currently with only one MC250 connected to my Klipsch LSI I rarely turn the volume on my pre-amp past 9 or 10 and it is already plenty loud for me. With two MC250 bridged to mono I would be surprised if the volume would ever get turned up pass 12.

With the amplifier capabilities in mind, achieving the highest volume is not a major objective in this comparison. From my point of view both scenarios will provide more than enough WPC.

What I am after is the warm, smooth, clear sound that McIntosh amplifiers provide and maybe the added protection of the power guard. Although I'm not sure if the power guard feature is really needed as I doubt I will ever push my system to the point where power guard would activate.
 
With 200 watts, you gain only 3 dB added volume.

The La Scalas are so efficient, I can’t see the power advantage.
 
Last edited:
You have the chance to own two pieces of McIntosh!

Go for it!

(I may be a little biased, I've been listening to my MC 250 since about 1974.)
 
You have the chance to own two pieces of McIntosh!

Go for it!

(I may be a little biased, I've been listening to my MC 250 since about 1974.)
Hi John,

So I gather you are saying I should opt for the second MC250 and leave the MC2205? I wish I could listen to them both in a A/B comparison but that is not possible. Tough choices, I suppose the one saving grace is that both amplifiers will hold their value or maybe even increase over time.

I suppose I can purchase the MC2205 and then if I find that it is not what I'm after then I can sell it and pursue a MC250 at a later date as I see more MC250 for sale locally.
 
Hi John,

So I gather you are saying I should opt for the second MC250 and leave the MC2205? I wish I could listen to them both in a A/B comparison but that is not possible. Tough choices, I suppose the one saving grace is that both amplifiers will hold their value or maybe even increase over time.

I suppose I can purchase the MC2205 and then if I find that it is not what I'm after then I can sell it and pursue a MC250 at a later date as I see more MC250 for sale locally.
That's a reasonable way to look at it. MC2205 is no slouch and you may love it.
 
With a pair of high sensitivity horn speakers, I doubt the extra output capabilities or Power Guard will be a factor. By your own reckoning, it's doubtful you'll ever come close to maxing out the capability of a single MC250. You don't say whether having metered Mc amp matters to you but if it does, an MC2505 would be the logical choice. And a 38 lb amp is a lot easier to deal with an 80 lb one.
 
I own both, and the 2205 (actually the MC 2200 was mine) and the 2205 was way better controlling of the speakers. It's also has second generation transistors and autoformers, the '250 is a first gen transistor and autoformer.

I still use my '250, but not for serious listening- to me it sounds a bit dark and dreamy, the '2205 is also similar but with an opened up high end (as far as an early autoformer got.) But, for cool instrumental stuff (Tangerine Dream, Dream Theater, Amesthyium and Shadow Gallery) the sound makes me sink into the seat- relaxed.
 
I had the 2505, and loved it at the time. Next was the 2105, which I felt was more accurate, flatter, just better sound. I skipped over the 2505 to the 2255, similar generation, was cleaner, quieter, and better. Not even talking about power here.

BUT, LaScalas, and vintage-design Klipsch (being kind of general here) owners/fans tend to lean somewhat toward tube sound, which in my experience/opinion is more the realm of the MC250/MC2505 in solid-state amplifiers than the later generations’ sound signature which became much more neutral. Not sure you will like it as well as the MC250’s mellow-yellow goodness.

If you like the sound, and want more power, I’d go with the second MC250. If you like the sound and want meters and more power, I’d point you toward either the MC2105 or the MC2300.

One caution: If you’re looking at any of these 50-60year-old amplifiers, condition will determine SQ more than their design/ architecture. One in proper (restored) condition will be much more accurate, quieter, and just more satisfying in your system (not to mention the increased reliability). A needy old original one might still sound very good, but is not a good comparison point as it will likely lack proper power, response, and low-noise/low-distortion.
 
The 2205 has twice the power capabilities of the MC 250's, better signal to noise and easily 1/2 to 1/3 the distortion and those lovey meters. Most important of all is that the 2205 has Power Guuard which keep the amp from clipping. Some thing 250's don't have. the 250's weigh less if your older. Its like comparing a Chevy small block naturally aspirated versus one that is super charged with fuel injection. 140 watts versus 260 watts per channel with out and with speaker protection.
 
Back
Top Bottom