sanjith
New Member
Me got a McIntosh MC240 tube amplifier which was sitting idle for last many years. The condition known to me was the power transformer is blown and need replacement.
A few months back I gave it to a technician to get it fixed. He replaced the power transformer with newly built one matching original specs. But unfortunately, now the amp is not singing on one channel. The explanation technician gave me is one of the output transformers which is sitting next to power transformer has got short inside. He says the fuse is getting blown when he connects the output transformer sitting in middle and there is also no sound on one channel. Tested all tubes and they are in good condition.
It seems like there is no one here in Australia does rebuilding unity coupled transformers. I tried contacting Audio Classics, US and they are able to fix it if I can send the bad transformer to them.
Yesterday I opened the unit and I can see the main four capacitors are very old, maybe the ones came from the manufacturer in 1960s or replaced very long back. They should be in very bad condition. One of the capacitors has bulged on top(left black colored big one in the second photo). I'm wondering if this/bad components inside could be the issue for the problem with one channel and fuse to get blown? How is the unit going to behave if it has got bad big capacitors?.

A few months back I gave it to a technician to get it fixed. He replaced the power transformer with newly built one matching original specs. But unfortunately, now the amp is not singing on one channel. The explanation technician gave me is one of the output transformers which is sitting next to power transformer has got short inside. He says the fuse is getting blown when he connects the output transformer sitting in middle and there is also no sound on one channel. Tested all tubes and they are in good condition.
It seems like there is no one here in Australia does rebuilding unity coupled transformers. I tried contacting Audio Classics, US and they are able to fix it if I can send the bad transformer to them.
Yesterday I opened the unit and I can see the main four capacitors are very old, maybe the ones came from the manufacturer in 1960s or replaced very long back. They should be in very bad condition. One of the capacitors has bulged on top(left black colored big one in the second photo). I'm wondering if this/bad components inside could be the issue for the problem with one channel and fuse to get blown? How is the unit going to behave if it has got bad big capacitors?.

Last edited: