• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Mcintosh MC901

Oh I don't know - dealers in SoCal, Texas, AZ, and Florida will likely have success with them. I bet they sell 50prs to dealers in fairly short order. If I were a dealer, I'd buy two pair so I could satisfy a New In Box request same day - strike while the iron was hot.

I like these kinds of products.

Edited 'cuz I had one too many zeroes on 50! Lol ...
Iam the sales manger for Bentley and Aston Martin here Montreal. I always tell my staff not to try to think or understand our clients. They live in an other stratosphere, for some spending 4 to 500K on a car in nothing. They can spend an other 30k to make their car unique and to reflect their character.. But then they might get tired of it few months later and trade it in for an other exotic at the same time loosing more than a 100K...it’s the cost of owning the best and the newest or being the first. Good for them, they work hard, play hard spend hard and they love it..
By the way I love them I think they are gorgeous and I would get them in a heart beat.
M
 
Any one heard or read anywhere about the crossover section?
The xover frequencies and slopes available seem to be a mystery. The Mac website is silent on those topics. If only there was a clear pic of the top rear section where the controls lie.
 
I'm glad I only have to lift the Transformers and not the whole unit. This thing is A beast. They had to make lots of changes just to fit it on the Production line.That's just A big bunch A fun right there. I better be careful I might fracture A hip. Back ain't as good as it used to be either. Saving money on gym membership though .20 year's at this place and it just keeps getting better. LOL...Peace Out....
 
I believe both Bentley and Aston Martin needed to be rescued by deep pocket mainstream manufacturers that proceeded to broaden their lineup, expand the base products in attempts to make them viable going concerns.

Is there any ultra exotic that exists without a deep pocket white knight?

I personally believe it is more stable for a broader base speciality manufacturer to expand it's market up than a up market company to expand down.

It is also a lot harder to run a broad base up market manufacturer and dealership.

When as a dealer I was shown the XRT290 loudspeaker prototypes my first thought was where would I find a customer to buy them.......

When I gave Gow the PO for XRT-20s back in '79 my boss and company comptroller demanded I come up with a list of invitees to attend Gow's Midwest premier of them.....
 
LOL ... you guys crack me up. These amps weren't intended to make sense, line up in a matrix, or fit onto a product spreadsheet. Rather, they're a statement shouting boldness, prowess, and a middle finger UP to the snooty competition as Mc courts the followers they've cultivated.

Who really cares how many they sell? It's not about that. It's about bringing that guy IN that may be looking at another brand and having him decide to be a McIntosh owner. Not necessarily an MC901 owner.

Love it!
 
The first time I hefted a 3500 by myself when I was 24 I said never again. So two of us lifted 2300's, 2500's and 2600's. Even 2255's and 7300's could be a struggle sometimes. I have only lifted 501's and 402's a few times and that was enough. My 207's are plenty for me at 74 on Wednesday. . If you want to test your wrists lift a 275 toward the front side where the name plate is located. Those transformers will really put a twist on your arms. Always pick up a Mac amp by the center line of the transformers or autoformers. You better have a fork lift for the MC 901. I imagine its like picking up a pair of ML-4's for the first time. Thats and eye opening experience. The first time I tried to rotate a pair of S7 Magicos was a real experience too. 300 lbs each.
 
Some of us get it, some don't. I have and have had friends who will pay over a million just for the interior of their new jet, have a semi-truck rig dedicated to moving parts of their car collection, have high seven-figure budgets for commissioning their next "boat", ... do you think these people care what an amplifier costs if they want one? Do you think that they ever lift one? There are tens of thousands of people in this country alone who clear over a million per year in personal income, plus their portfolio growth, and even more throughout the world who can buy and sell those people.

I see people walking around the marinas evey summer who just inherited a couple of million and think they're wealthy, buy a nice used 50' SeaRay and have no idea the difference between having a couple million once, ... and having it every couple of months.

Walking around AXPONA you will see many amplifiers, speakers, etc. that appeal to the ego of the buyer, typically the new-money buyer who needs to show what he has, not the conservative who would prefer people don't know. I don't like the way this new amp looks, but it will be easier to stash somewhat out of sight than a new Western Electric amplifier or many other boutique amp so that appeals to me. I'm not a buyer for high-watt tubes (yet), but am intrigued. I do feel that Carver has a better value in high-output tubes, but doesn't have the name.

Someone touched on a primary reason for some of these statement pieces, and that is the statement. An example might be Chrysler Corp. putting money into the Viper (some might remember). It didn't sell a lot of Vipers, never made profit, even every supplier lost money on the project (and some of us wouldn't even bid on the business). It was there to improve the image of Dodge as a performance brand, it did, and it sold other Dodge vehicles. This might be the point of the MC901: showing that McIntosh is still relevant in the esoteric tube audio market, showing what McIntosh can do.

Chris is correct that it isn't for most dealers, neither was the Viper, nor Aston Martin, Bugatti, Lamborghini, or the other premium Volkswagen brands. Somehow they still sell their cars, ...
 
Last edited:
This is perfect match for my XR290. Though would be cheaper to just use a pair of MC2301s with my MC1000s. But I am sure this would be a better integration. Love the 190 lb weight.

i have on occasion put too much HF power in the XR290 tweeter arrays and caused the HF speaker protection to kick in and out momentarily until some LF bleeds off amp power. Only a few songs capable of that Led Zep and Jimmy H. This amp would solve that.

Would you still love the 190 lb weight if, by chance, you had to transport it to a technician if it was not functioning properly?
 
Would you still love the 190 lb weight if, by chance, you had to transport it to a technician if it was not functioning properly?
You’re talking to someone that transported 335lb speakers and set them up by his self then put Isoaccoustic Gaia Titan isolators under them by himself. You just get clever on how you move such beasts. Ramps, inflatable, jacks, dollies and trailers. Not for a stair carry but bet the are worth the inconveniences. I recently moved a concert grand piano for my GF. Big musical instruments the sound can’t be matched as can’t big musical reproduction devices.
 
A couple years ago I swapped out my mc2500's for mc1201's with just little old me doing all the grunt work. My wife was offering not so good advice which actually helped by getting my adrenaline flowing:mad:.
At 50lbs more another person would be needed for the 901's no doubt. Unless you have several flights of stairs to go up or down I can't see any problem moving the 901's.
 
I moved our grand piano 3 times by myself without a scratch, ... but now I'm older and probably shouldn't.

I do keep a cart and hand-truck in my audio room for moving gear, real back-savers.
 
Ya because small compact stuff like the Transformers that weigh around 60 lbs.Feel A little heavier than something larger There not that bad. I shouldn't wine about it. It's pretty funny. As far as Bob carvers 20 lb 275 tube amplifier. I would love to take A look at the Transformers in that...
 
Maybe Mac will make a MC 3500 II for its 75th anniversary. Quad balanced with 500 watt rating using the original tubes but more of them from the 3500. Remember it was rated with less than 0.15% distortion. and measured better than a 2105 or 2300 at the same power. Its signal to noise was 95 db full band width, and as other have proven with some upgrades to the power supply over 104 db un-weighted signal to noise. Today they use A weighting, which is cheating in my book.
 
Maybe Mac will make a MC 3500 II for its 75th anniversary. Quad balanced with 500 watt rating using the original tubes but more of them from the 3500. Remember it was rated with less than 0.15% distortion. and measured better than a 2105 or 2300 at the same power. Its signal to noise was 95 db full band width, and as other have proven with some upgrades to the power supply over 104 db un-weighted signal to noise. Today they use A weighting, which is cheating in my book.
The MC2301 is the current day MC3500 twiiii ...
 
Back
Top Bottom