• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Model 4300V Receiver - Remote Controll HR4300

Majikman27

New Member
Hello everyone,
I am a new member of your MAC Forum and I am reaching out to see if anyone knows how to reconfigure a McIntosh Hand-held remote control Model HR7 such that it would take the place of a HR4300, which is the correct matching remote for this receiver.
Better yet, does anyone know where I could purchase a HR4300 remote? That would solve the whole problem.
There was discussion a while ago stating that HR4300s were no longer available (new) and extremely hard to find (used), but the HR7 remote could be reconfigured to take the place of a HR4300 for the 4300V.
On a whim, I was able to purchase a HR7 remote, but without technical direction as to how to make it work on a 4300V, it is useless to me.
Any help or resource would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance to anyone who may offer me some assistance or guidance.
— "MAJIKMAN27"
 
Register to hide this ad
Hi Larry,
Thank-you for that advice.
I did call McIntosh directly, but for something else...
I got lucky regarding the reprogramming of the MAC HR7 remote to function [pretty much] like the intended HR4300 for my MAC 4300V receiver.
A seller on e-Bay had an HR7 for sale because he had found the genuine HR4300 in a long-forgotten place.
Note that he had sold the remote and this was a closed listing.
However, he had the HR7 reprogrammed previously, just like I need, thinking he would never find the real one. I corresponded with him and he told me where I could have this performed.
Audio Classics to the rescue! Ryan couldn't have been nicer. Service is top shelf.
Back to the real reason for contacting McIntosh in Binghamton, NY directly, I corresponded with Gail S. in parts because I wanted to know the availability of momentary push button switches for the 4300V. These would be genuine MAC parts:
Red (for power) P/N 017-268 and black P/N 017-246. Gail tells me that they are no longer available and the manufacturer is no longer in business. So, I'm sending out an SOS to you regarding the switches. They are so problematic; deoxing helps, but new would be better. Any ideas, Larry?
I would welcome any help the many McIntosh vintage devotees out there.
Thanks in advance,
Steve
 
All I can tell you is I was able to find a HR4300 for my 4300V on that auction site. It was actually two, one working but without a battery hatch cover and the other for "parts". Cost was in the high double digits. I replaced a Logitech "learning" remote which functioned OK but could only engage a few inputs and didn't or couldn't manage the tuner section.
The HR4300 works well, very smoothly, and has the additional benefit of being able to circumvent the often balky pushbuttons on the receiver itself (especially power), as I see OP has found out. I pretty much use it all the time.
It's worth persevering and finding the genuine article. They are out there and there's not a decent substitute.
 
All I can tell you is I was able to find a HR4300 for my 4300V on that auction site. It was actually two, one working but without a battery hatch cover and the other for "parts". Cost was in the high double digits. I replaced a Logitech "learning" remote which functioned OK but could only engage a few inputs and didn't or couldn't manage the tuner section.
The HR4300 works well, very smoothly, and has the additional benefit of being able to circumvent the often balky pushbuttons on the receiver itself (especially power), as I see OP has found out. I pretty much use it all the time.
It's worth persevering and finding the genuine article. They are out there and there's not a decent substitute.

Hi, EyeGee:
Does the Logitech "learning" remote turns the 4300v On and Off? Does control volume? Regards
 
Back
Top Bottom