• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Mcintosh Reviews in Stereophile

chrisf

Active Member
Well Ron-c was right when somone ask if we would be seeing any reviews on Mac equipment in the future.
The April issue of Stereophile did their 500+recommended
components.
In class A+ The MDA 1000 made it.This is a new class for equipment in the all out class.In class A The C45 made it for surround sound componets.The C200 for two channel preamp.The MC 501's for SS Stereo Amps and last but not least The MC275 for Tube Stereo Amplifier.
It good to see Mcintosh doing so well.These were all Items that were tested by them and I am sure had they got the stuff to evaluate in time several more would be there.
 
Register to hide this ad
I think that those 500+ are just a list of old reviews. I hope that the MCD201 will get reviewed soon though, it will do great :thmbsp:
 
It good to see Mcintosh doing so well.
Yes, it is, and it's not just stereophile that was impressed with Mcintosh. Others have found them to be excellent as well. There were pretty strong and bold statements made in quite a few well respected publications. Here are some quotes from TAS by Paul Seydor.

"Enter the C46 and MC402; could they possibly hold up? I’ll
not keep you in suspense: this combination yielded, all in all,
the most musically satisfying reproduction I have so far experienced
in my present system. I should point out that I have had
on extended loan solid-state amplifiers costing $34,000/pair and
an amp/preamp combination priced at $35,000. This Mac pair
trumped them all, often by a comfortable margin. They are fantastically
clean and clear, utterly open and transparent, wholly
lacking in grain, grit, and hardness, and with an impression of
exceptionally low noise and distortion."

"To give some idea how special these components are, a classical-record-producer friend of mine—winner of several
prestigious awards, whose recordings are highly regarded
both musically and sonically (some of them grace HP’s
Superdisc List)—stopped by one day to let me hear the final
edit of her most recent recording, a Russian symphony that is
one of the staples of the repertoire. After a few minutes of listening
she pronounced this the best sound she had ever
heard in my system, better than hers at home (Quad 989s
driven by vintage Audio Research tubes), and some of the
best she’s heard period. “It has,” she observed, “an ideal
combination of warmth and detail.” The C46/MC402 pair
was in use at the time."

"Whichever component or combination you decide upon,
this much I can say with fair confidence: no matter how much
you spend, you’re unlikely to find better amps and preamps on
the planet. Day in, day out, these McIntoshes are the most completely
pleasurable electronics I’ve used in nearly four decades
of pursuing high-end audio."
 
There was a Mc component which was dropped from the top 500 as well, can't remember which one though.
 
Back
Top Bottom