• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh stack and Bozak's

dbuz

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
There's a listing nearby for a McIntosh C26 preamp, an MR73 tuner, and a MC2505 power amp. Also included are Bozak speakers, one labeled B-4000 Moorish, the other B-4000A Moorish. They've all been in long term storage, so I have no idea if they work at all, but they look to be in decent condition physically. The separates were purchased locally in the early 70's at a shop that still exists and they even have the wood cases.

Seller is asking 2.5k obo. I've never owned anything McIntosh, and I'd have to dip outside my "holy crap that's a great deal buy it now" cash stash to buy them, so what say you? Good deal? Offer less? Walk away? The last thing I need is more bigass speakers, but the idea of a McIntosh stack in my living room is pretty tempting.


836918533_1910438297029223_8390733394402844190_n.jpg830597196_1829835288178440_4339710279714741970_n.jpg
 
Register to hide this ad
For un-tested it’s a gamble, but not much of one. If you can test and it works well it’s a great price for a one-owner set. It will all need servicing eventually even if it works well, but lots of this vintage McIntosh gear just keeps running / just needs service for reliability and to bring it back to spec. Speakers OTOH might need service a bit more urgently.

The 2105 is usually paired with a C28 but the C26, a simpler preamp, is much less trouble (still the same era, but usually you would buy the 2505-C26 or 2105-C28 when new). I’ve had both and would be very happy with this pairing. The tuner would be a shelf-queen for me as I don’t listen to FM but sweetens the deal certainly.

Bozaks are less familiar to me, I know of them, have a neighbor with that very pair (with his original McIntosh stack), excellent speakers and a great companion for this set. Again you would have to know if they need servicing (likely so) but if all drivers work a very nice start.

It would need to be parts units without cabinets to lose at that price.
 
I agree with SaturationPt. I've had my C 26, MC 2505 since 1971 and they still sound great. Rudy Bozak was a friend of Frank McIntosh and used Mac gear to voice his speaker designs so I assume in good condition they would sound pretty decent. Cosmetics on the Mac gear are important as the electronics can be repaired.
 
There's a listing nearby for a McIntosh C26 preamp, an MR73 tuner, and a MC2505 power amp. Also included are Bozak speakers, one labeled B-4000 Moorish, the other B-4000A Moorish. They've all been in long term storage,
I notice in one of the pictures that they look like they were stored in a storage facility or basement based on some of the gunk on the walls and the concrete floors.

as for how long I would want to know as there could be potential issues if said area wasn't climate controlled.
I have no idea if they work at all

Seller is asking 2.5k obo.
What's the seller saying?

If you hook them up and all of it works, then I'd say go for it.
Depending on how long they've been in long term storage there's a possibility that hooked up, turned on etc doesn't necessarily mean they are in top working condition and that he should go for it.

At the least the OP would/should have them assessed by a competent tech at the shop he mentioned to make sure as they're in proper working order
 
Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the cases, can't remember the last time I saw Mac gear sold with nice cases. Were they an unpopular option?
 
On eBay, it's not uncommon to see MC2105s sell for well over $2K alone. The cabinets command $200/ea on a bad day so $600 value right there.

Just a friendly word of advice: Next time don't squander opportunity by asking questions here waiting for feedback. Market information is instantly available at your fingertips putting you in just as good a position as anybody to make the call on whether x is priced fairly or not.
 
ALWAYS the answer to such things.
You see an unbeliveable deal, get your money and GO GET IT RIGHT AWAY.
You don't mention it ANYWHERE online, just get it ASAP.
I've seen so many deals get away from folks because they asked about an ad and posted a link. Boom - GONE!!
 
Posting a photo here only makes others aware of the ad, which reduces your likelihood of "scoring". :)

Yep. I've had people try to undercut me, but the guy held to his word and sold them to me even though the other guy offered more than his asking price. I was lucky.
 
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the cases, can't remember the last time I saw Mac gear sold with nice cases. Were they an unpopular option?
The cases seem to go in and out of style. In the 1970s, I paid premiums to put my Marantz separates in walnut cases. (They just seemed nude without them.)

When I bought a used C28 in the late 1980s, the dealer threw in a mint walnut case for free. In 1990, I bought an MR78 from the same dealer. Again, he offered me a wood case. He said I could have two—that they were piling up in his storeroom, that he couldn’t give them away. He said the heavy, dark walnut cases were completely out of fashion.

I declined because I was mounting the 78 in a custom cabinet. It seems that, currently, now that mid-century-modern decor (including walnut and teak) is back in style, so are the cabinets. I saw one for a C28 ($3,500.00) listed recently for $600.00. I think I paid only $575.00 for my C28 with a cabinet. Granted, that was nearly 40 years ago. What goes around, comes around.
 
I'm not a big fan of most cases, they look dated, but would I sell my WC-22, nope.......

Great find, I'm surprised you had to ask.
 
Back
Top Bottom