• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

McIntosh Tuner Repair and Upgrades Service Centers?

Drummerboy2

Well-Known Member
Now that Terry is not taking any new customers, who else is the top McIntosh tuner guy/s to do repairs, alignment and upgrades to Mac tuners?

I know there is Audio Classics and the McIntosh repair center but is there any other's that are up in Terry's level of doing what Terry does on McIntosh tuners? I don't mean any disrespect to other Tuner repair guys but to my understanding not too many people can repair and align tuners like the MR80 or some of the other top Mac tuners. So this question is really for those tuners.

Also West Coast options would be nice too! :)
 
Register to hide this ad
Your location would help . Punker X would be a great candidate . He is one of the tuner gods here at AK .
 
Sure the mileage from Tennessee to SoCal is not much difference than between Michigan and SoCal.
 
Should probably ask this in the McIntosh forum to find someone in the SOCal area.

Long gone are the days back in the early 80 when our lead tech would go and visit all throughout our shop informing all that his phone was going to be off the hook for the next three or four hours while he was wringing out the best DXing performance of a MR78 or MR80.

I do not think that DXing is important at all nowadays let alone what 4 hours of tech time might cost in LA or SF.
 
Last edited:

62caddy, Thank You for the info. I have contacted him and waiting to hear back if has done any MR80 tuners. If so I may go with him but I'm keeping other options open as well. I'm just really worried about the transport of this nice tuner and the way the shipping like Fedex and UPS have been so rough with all the packages I have been receiving this past year. They just don't care anymore. Example: When I order my Monolith THX 10" sub, I came home early from work and had the door closed when the delivery came but I was watching. The UPS guy came up to the porch and just threw the package about almost 2 feet from him onto the porch. I immediately opened the don't and told him "WTF dude, Do you know what is in there?. You better hope you didn't damage that item". That subwoofer was very heavy too. Good thing it was packed very well from the manufacturer. He got shocked that I was home. I told him I would be contacting his Fedex location and will file a complaint.

If that would have been this tuner, who knows what would have happened. I was also home when they (UPS) delivered the MAC MR80. So I just instructed the guy to place it on the bench on the porch so he wouldn't hurt himself or the unit. So this is why I'm looking for someone closer to keep the time down in the hands of the shippers.
 
Last edited:
Sure the mileage from Tennessee to SoCal is not much difference than between Michigan and SoCal.

Hi Punker X, I have you up next if the guy can't do the MR80 for me. It's just a matter of keeping the shippers from damaging this nice tuner and the cost of shipping is getting crazy now. The guy I usually have do my tuners has never done a MR80 so I want to go with someone with experience doing this MR80. I know you can fix and make it way better and like I said if that guy can't I will contact you next. Please read the reply to 62caddy. All my packages are coming damaged and not just minor, it doesn't matter how small or large they are all coming smashed. I have just been very lucky the items were not damaged except the one package that my nice Fisher KM-60 was damaged and the tuner looked like it had been dropped. The Original cabinet was damaged (but can be fixed) and the Power transformer was slightly bent to the left. The Tuning eye was out of the tube holder and the Signal Strength meter was popped out of place, good thing everything still worked fine after I fixed it. My buddy that works for UPS doesn't have the my route anymore and was always careful with the gear he delivered.

I do have the original MR80 box and shipping material but still may have to double box this up.
 
Last edited:
That is very disappointing to hear about FedEx who had been Terry's preferred shipper in the past. They once did a number on an MR78 that Terry did for me but fortunately I was able to recover damages.
 
Anything you ship needs to be packed really well. With the glass faces, remove he knobs and extra protection the faceplate. Doesn't matter Fed-ex, USP, USPS. **** happens
 
I am local to Audiodoctor and have used his services many times. It's nice in Phoenix now; drive out before the snowbirds get here!
 
Might ask AK member Tinman if he wants to tackle - he's as good as they come, but a bit selective these days on which repairs he takes on. He's knocked out some flawless rebuilds on Tandberg 3001/3001A I referred to him, and has all of the experience and gear TOTL FM tuner service calls for. Located on the north side of LA.

John
 
Stephen Sank in Tucson did an MR 65B for me and I know he is familiar with the MR 80.

http://www.thuntek.net/~bk11/home.htm

I will give him a call or email. Thanks
Might ask AK member Tinman if he wants to tackle - he's as good as they come, but a bit selective these days on which repairs he takes on. He's knocked out some flawless rebuilds on Tandberg 3001/3001A I referred to him, and has all of the experience and gear TOTL FM tuner service calls for. Located on the north side of LA.

John[/QUOTE

He really isn't interested in doing the MR80, so I'm still looking.
 
4 to 5 months maybe less currently. Calm before the storm. Seems every winter and tax time people want to get work done.
 
Whoever you choose make sure they have the actual service notebook.......it maybe only 3/4 of a inch thick but I if I remember correctly has 80 some pages with any number of special service notes.

Needed to be obtained from the factory as a warranty station back in the day.
 
Whoever you choose make sure they have the actual service notebook.......it maybe only 3/4 of a inch thick but I if I remember correctly has 80 some pages with any number of special service notes.

Needed to be obtained from the factory as a warranty station back in the day.

Yes, I got the Service Manual for it. It's over 100 pages.
 
Back
Top Bottom