When I found my XRT20's back in 2011 they had a couple of blown tweeters.
Each channel of the XRT20's has 24 tweeters arranged in 5 groups of 5 tweeters each arranged in series and then those groups paralleled to give the appropriate impedance. One of those groups has 4 tweeters and an 8 ohm/20 watt resistor in place of the missing 5th tweeter.
Since these tweeters are in series it's very unlikely that more than 1 tweeter would go bad in each "string".
One failure point in these tweeters is that the coil wire looses contact at the rivet where it attaches to the terminal. The other of course is that the coil "blows" or has an open.
I was fortunate when I restored my speakers to find some spares on eBay.
Recently in talking to my friend Ray (aka Mrpajamas) we wondered if the 1" replacement Philips diaphragms available on eBay would work. I ordered up a pair from China.
These are listed as "2 Replacement 1" Soft Dome Hi-Frequency Tweeter Diaphragms For Speaker Repair 8Ω" and cost $22.98 shipped (with tariffs included).
Yes, these seem to fit perfectly!
While this repair may not yield tweeters that have the exact same frequency response as the originals I'm quite confident that with about 2 dozen tweeters playing simultaneously you'd be able to detect the difference.
So, if you need to repair you McIntosh tweeters gives these a try.
BTW, here's the link to my original XRT20 restoration:

Each channel of the XRT20's has 24 tweeters arranged in 5 groups of 5 tweeters each arranged in series and then those groups paralleled to give the appropriate impedance. One of those groups has 4 tweeters and an 8 ohm/20 watt resistor in place of the missing 5th tweeter.
Since these tweeters are in series it's very unlikely that more than 1 tweeter would go bad in each "string".
One failure point in these tweeters is that the coil wire looses contact at the rivet where it attaches to the terminal. The other of course is that the coil "blows" or has an open.
I was fortunate when I restored my speakers to find some spares on eBay.
Recently in talking to my friend Ray (aka Mrpajamas) we wondered if the 1" replacement Philips diaphragms available on eBay would work. I ordered up a pair from China.
These are listed as "2 Replacement 1" Soft Dome Hi-Frequency Tweeter Diaphragms For Speaker Repair 8Ω" and cost $22.98 shipped (with tariffs included).
Yes, these seem to fit perfectly!
While this repair may not yield tweeters that have the exact same frequency response as the originals I'm quite confident that with about 2 dozen tweeters playing simultaneously you'd be able to detect the difference.
So, if you need to repair you McIntosh tweeters gives these a try.
BTW, here's the link to my original XRT20 restoration:
